EC Eats: Vegan chocolate chip cookies

Perfect dessert recipe with a surprise to impress anyone
Photo by Cade Fisher
These cookies are soft, tasty and leave you wanting just one more.

Everyone needs a staple dessert to bring to the function, but you never know what people will like or what they can have. This chocolate chip cookie recipe might just be the answer and be certain to wow anyone who tries it.

This recipe is sure to impress and has been a lifesaver for my family and me in numerous situations. It’s easy, quick and tastes even better after a few days in my opinion.

To start, I have adjusted this recipe to be vegan to increase the chances of people being able to eat and enjoy this delicious creation. I’ve been using a recipe by Ashley Manila on BakerbyNature and it’s worked well for me.

The ingredients you will need for this recipe are 1/2 cup solid coconut oil, 1 and 1/4 cups of light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 1/4 of oat milk, 1/4 cup of applesauce, 2 and 1/3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips.

As in most baking recipes, the first step is to preheat the oven. For these cookies preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.

Starting with the wet ingredients, pour the coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl. This is going to take a lot of mixing to break up the coconut oil, but don’t worry about perfection. Mix with a wooden spoon until most of the coconut oil is well combined.

Add the oat milk and applesauce to the mixture and continue mixing until you get a thick paste. The next step is to add the dry ingredients. Most recipes recommend mixing all the dry ingredients separately, but I think it doesn’t matter.

Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix everything together. At this point you can continue mixing with a spatula or wooden spoon, or you can use your hands to really combine the ingredients. This is also a great way to ensure the coconut oil is well combined. 

The final step is to add the chocolate chips. Make sure to gently fold them so each bite will ensure a good chip ratio without crushing the chips. With this recipe being vegan, feel free to enjoy a bit of the batter. 

From here, the cookies are all set to go in the oven. However, I promised a surprise. If you want regular cookies, you can roll the batter into one-inch wide balls and place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper, usually fitting around nine cookies per batch.

If you are having a tough time rolling the dough out, either add a bit more flour to make them less sticky or a bit more milk to make them more moist. The batter should all stick together but don’t worry about a little residue on your hands.

The miraculous Fisher family surprise is to include Oreos in the cookie, so it’s hidden underneath. Place nine Oreo cookies on the baking sheet and then roll out the batter into one-inch wide balls. Place the ball on top of the Oreo and slightly press it down so it covers most of the top of the Oreo.

Place the cookies in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the edges become golden brown. Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool for about 15 minutes. Your cookies are done.

This simple and easy recipe is sure to impress, surprising everyone when you turn the cookie over. I’ve baked these cookies for family gatherings, graduation parties, bonding with roommates and even brought them to work.

This recipe can also be altered to be gluten-free if you replace the flour and substitute vegan oreos. This is a great recipe that people will enjoy.

I hope this recipe becomes your new secret weapon, and please feel free to reach out if you end up making a batch.

Fisher can be reached at [email protected]