EC Eats

Two local spots for delicious Asian cuisine
EC+Eats

The stereotype that college students are broke is very true. This is heartbreaking because I love to try out local restaurants, especially when I get sick of eating at Hilltop. However, the few times I have managed to eat out I ate at two amazing restaurants: Rice Palace and China Max.

Rice Palace, located on South Barstow Street, serves a variety of Thai cuisine such as pho and stir fry along with soups, salads and crab rangoons. I didn’t really hear about this spot until I picked up a few Doordash orders from it.

The food smelled really good and the staff was really nice so I was inclined to make a personal visit and try it out with a group of friends. Our wait for food was not bad at all and the staff was really helpful with some of our allergies.

I have a shellfish allergy (which is really unfortunate), but the staff went out of their way to ensure that my food was made separately and would be safe for me to eat. This is much appreciated as I have had some issues with restaurants regarding this allergy.

Cost is also another important factor I consider when eating out and Rice Palace has reasonable prices. This makes it a fairly good option for fellow college students who are on a budget but want to treat themselves to a good meal. And boy, was it a good meal.

I ordered the No. 29 Orange Chicken Stir Fry, which costs $13.49. It was served with rice on the side and it was very filling. I also really liked the presentation of the meal.

I’m not a Chopped judge, but the presentation of the meal with green onion, garnish and orange slices on the side was a nice touch. 

In addition to the presentation, the portions were very generous. For the amount of money I paid, I enjoyed the fact that I had enough food for a late-night snack or a lunch that would spare me from eating at Hilltop. 

Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to others, but it is a far walk for people who do not have access to a car. 

Another restaurant in Eau Claire that I love is China Max, which is in the Oakwood Mall food court. Honestly, everything in the food court looks really good, but I decided to get Chinese food and go to China Max.

First, I was so shocked by the price. Normally food in the mall seems more expensive, but I got an entree and a side here and it was under $10. This was an absolute deal for me.

The sesame chicken and fried rice I ordered were beyond scrumptious. Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed this meal. While I was beyond starving before this meal, it is definitely something I enjoyed and could eat again.

The wait for food was really short, as it is served buffet style in front of you. Even in a mall on a Saturday I was shocked the wait wasn’t longer. The staff was also extremely nice. 

This is a cheaper option than Rice Palace, but both spots offer delicious Asian cuisine in Eau Claire that you don’t want to miss out on. 

Moris can be reached at [email protected].