Cinephiles: ‘Twitches Too’

A disastrous masterpiece you can’t help but love
This Disney Channel Movie is simply iconic. (Photo from Walt Disney Studios)

Twitches Too,” released in 2007 by Disney Channel, is a wild adventure. Starring Tia and Tamera Mowry, this film combines a high school slice-of-life movie with an intensely dramatic and medieval magical universe. 

“Twitches Too” is the sequel to “Twitches,” released in 2005. The story follows Cameron, or Cam, and Alex, twins who were separated at birth. When they meet they learn that they are witches from Coventry, a magical dimension. 

Cam and Alex have been raised by their godparents, Illena and Karsh, who act like Cosmo and Wanda from “Fairly Odd Parents” in every way imaginable. The sisters then work to defeat the darkness, an evil force and end the movie victorious. I love the first movie, but the second is a masterpiece in several ways. This movie is so camp, in every meaning of the word, and nothing really makes sense. 

The story opens with Cam and Alex getting ready for their first day of college but is interrupted by Illena and Karsh arriving, telling the girls they are needed in Coventry, immediately. The two are divided, with Alex going to school and Cam heading to the alternate dimension. 

Alex is a studious, open-minded girl, while Cam is obsessed with being a princess. 

While at college, a boy whom Cam used to date runs into Alex and confuses the two sisters. When she tells him the truth, Marcus asks her out. The rest of the movie, they have a will-they-won’t-they and spoiler, he’s just a distraction. 

Cam heads over to the A plot and her mother, Miranda, is stressed. Her mother believes the darkness is back, although they eradicated it in the last movie. She has a fear that Phantos, the twins’ evil uncle, is back from the dead. 

He originally killed their father to rule Coventry. Yes, this is a Hamlet story. Not a good retelling, but a retelling. 

Miranda tells Cam that she needs to learn about her powers, and how to control them. Cam tells her about how excited she is to be a princess, wearing ball gowns and tiaras. Relatable queen. 

She then tries to practice magic on her own, when she breaks a vase. A mysterious attractive man, Dimitri comes to save the day. But there’s a twist, as he is a servant with no magic and no money. Dimitri immediately becomes one of the best parts of the movie, as Cam fawns over her, as an extreme caricature. 

This then leads to my favorite part of this movie, the characters. Karish and Illena are the best part of the movie, and in every scene they are in they add immeasurably. The twitches are so Y2K and love to scream in unison. No one acts like a normal human, in the best possible way. 

The world of Coventry is a confusing one, but is fun to get lost in. Not much of it makes sense.  Rules are created and broken in a matter of minutes, and if you are a big magic nerd, it’s gonna upset you, but for everyone else, it’s a great time. 

If you wanna turn your brain off for two hours, laugh at some stupid jokes and watch Tamara Mowry yell, “Dimirti” eight times, you are in for a treat. 

As Letterboxed user Nicole put it, “idc [I don’t care] how silly these movies are I need more like yesterday.”

“Go Twitches, go Twitches.”

Leick can be reached at [email protected].