Former Red Hawk hired on Eau Claire football staff

Nick Pesik joined the Blugolds following time at NIU

Photo by SUBMITTED

Story by Austin Mai, Op/Ed Editor

Following the 2014 season, head football coach Todd Glaser made changes to the coaching staff. Assistant coach Jeff Tarnowski no longer works with the wide receivers and now works with the outside linebackers. This left an opening for a new coach.

And after only two months on staff, new assistant wide receiver coach Nick Pesik’s coaching philosophy has been adopted and welcomed by his position players.

The new coach said he was excited to join UW-Eau Claire’s staff because of the school’s academic prestige.

“I played against WIAC schools in college,” Pesik said. “I know their schools were top notch and Eau Claire is one of the best educations you can get in the country.”

Glaser
Glaser

Glaser said he liked Pesik’s energy and attention to detail when he interviewed him for the job.

Eau Claire wide receiver Chris Cummings described his coach’s energy as “different” and said he likes Pesik’s approach to working with athletes.

“He has great energy,” Cummings said. “He’s a little easier to relate to than the other coaches.”

Pesik graduated from Ripon College in 2011 with a degree in exercise science and as a four-year letterwinner, playing wide receiver and serving as team captain during his senior season.

Cummings said Pesik’s experience with the position is obvious during on-field drills.

“He looks for the details,” Cummings said. “He’s had new drills for us everyday and (the wide receivers) work on new and different routes with him after practice.”

Pesik took what he learned as a volunteer assistant, then an offensive graduate assistant for three years at NCAA Division I Northern Illinois University and applied it to the Blugolds. He worked with the wide receivers and worked on both the offensive game plans and scouting reports for the Huskies.

He coached three All-Mid-American Conference wide receivers and 3rd place 2013 Heisman Trophy finalist quarterback Jordan Lynch while at NIU.

Pesik said he’s happy to be on the staff with Glaser, as he allows to assistant coaches to “put your own stamp” on your group.

“I appreciate his effort,” Pesik said. “He’s really honest and you need that as a young coach. He has let me implement what I think will work best with this group of receivers.”

Looking to next season, Pesik said if the receivers improve their consistency, their talent should carry them far. In only two months with the students, Pesik said their work ethic is second to none.

“We have guys who want to get better,” Pesik said. “There’s a lot to be done between now and fall, but if my guys stay hungry, we can be successful.”