The American Pickleball Tournament is coming to La Crosse this summer

An event full of socializing, pickleball and good times is in store
The event will be sure to put a smile on your face. Used with permission from The American Pickleball Tour.

The American Pickleball Tour (APT) is gearing up to make its mark on La Crosse with an inaugural tournament set to captivate players of all ages and skill levels.

The founder of the ATP Aaron Del Mar was very enthusiastic about the event and said they have been trying to get this event in La Crosse. 

“We’re really excited about it,” Del Mar said. “We’ve been working really well with the La Crosse Convention and Visitors Bureau to bring this event here.”

The tournament offers a vibrant lineup of activities, including singles and doubles matches, as well as a one-of-a-kind glow-in-the-dark pickleball session on the evening of Friday, June 6. 

“Friday is going to be our first day,” Del Mar said. “We’re going to be having our singles and then we’re going to be having our glow-in-the-dark pickleball at night.”

The emphasis on community is a cornerstone of the APT’s mission, with Del Mar highlighting the social nature of the sport. 

“Pickleball itself is a very, very much a social sport,” he said. “There’s a level of competitiveness, of course, but there’s a lot of fellowship before and after each of the matches.”

In addition to the on-court action, the tournament offers plenty of opportunities for socializing and building connections.

“Our after-tournament events give you an opportunity to go back to your hotel room and then come out and join us for a beer, join us with some appetizers,” Del Mar said. “It’s about having that vacation, having that pickleball experience all in one.”

With registration now open, pickleball enthusiasts from across the region are eagerly signing up for their chance to participate in this landmark event. 

“We’ve got some really cool advertisements coming out,” Del Mar said. “So we expect it to be a really well-participated tournament.”

The APT’s commitment to inclusivity is evident in its tournament format, welcoming players of all ages and skill levels. “We’re an amateur tournament,” Del Mar said. “It’s going to be for all ages. We’re going to kick off on Friday. Friday is going to be our first day.”

According to the website, the tournament is advertised as “All skills welcome! Your perfect first tournament!” 

Del Mar further elaborated on the accessibility of the tournament, emphasizing its appeal to newcomers to the sport. 

“This tournament is the perfect tournament to try and start out,” Del Mar said. “We get you a ton of matches. We’re at a very low price point comparative to all the other pickleball tournaments out there.”

Moreover, the APT aims to create a welcoming environment for first-time players, providing them with an opportunity to experience the thrill of competition in a supportive setting. 

“We are like the Fisher-Price ‘my first pickleball tournament,'” Del Mar said. “We’re the one where you want to go through your first-time experience.”

As the excitement builds for the upcoming tournament, the APT looks forward to fostering a sense of community and camaraderie among participants and spectators alike. 

“We’re excited to be a part of your community,” Del Mar said. “We want to have a long-term relationship. Come out and see what it’s all about!”

In conclusion, the American Pickleball Tour’s La Crosse tournament promises to be a weekend filled with excitement, camaraderie, and unforgettable memories. Whether you’re a seasoned player or new to the sport, there’s something for everyone to enjoy at this landmark event.

Voelker can be reached at [email protected]