Professor speaks out on cyberbullying

When the body of Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi was found in the Hudson River last month, questions and speculations quickly arose. Clementi, who committed suicide after a video of him kissing another man was posted online by his roommate, was dubbed by many as a victim of “cyberbullying.”

Although a relatively new term for the layperson, cyberbullying – defined as harm inflicted via cell phones, computers or other electronic devices – has become a hot topic for debate among teachers, parents and community members.

Aside from Clementi’s story, many other cases have made news about children across the country falling victim to related harassment; some resulted in severe emotional damage, and some resulted in suicide.

Justin Patchin, professor of criminal justice at UW-Eau Claire, has devoted years to researching and speaking out about the negative impacts caused by the phenomenon.

“Cyberbullying (is essentially) harassment, threats, or humiliation carried out using technology,” he said. “One who engages in these behaviors would be considered a cyberbully.”

Patchin recently appeared at a town hall meeting organized by CNN’s Anderson Cooper in New York City. There, he spoke alongside Dr. Phil, Rosiland Wiseman and Kevin Jennings, among others. All who had gathered, Patchin said, came to discuss the overlooked issue of bullying in the information age.

“I still hear from many adults who don’t see what the big deal is about (it),” he said. “‘It’s just text,’ they say, suggesting that it therefore couldn’t be that bad.

Well, the recent string of suicides connected to experiences with cyberbullying should be a very clear message that textcan hurt.”

Throughout his research, which began in 2001, Patchin has worked hard to understand the phenomenon and help those who suffer from it.

Alongside colleague Sameer Hinduja, Patchin published the book “Bullying Beyond the Schoolyard: Preventing and Responding to Cyberbullying” two years ago, which was recently named Education Book of the Year by ForWord Reviews.

“(The book) is based on the research we have been doing since 2001,” Patchin said. “It’s been well-received by teachers, parents and researchers.”

In addition to the book, Patchin and Hinduja started the website www.cyberbullying.us in 2005 as a way to disseminate their findings.

“We post resources on the site for people to learn about this problem,” Patchin said. “For every academic article we publish in a journal, we post a corresponding two-page fact sheet on our website which summarizes the main issues.”

Activities, quizzes and a blog are also available on the site, he said.

While the issue has begun to gain more attention from scholars and parents, students of the university are also expressing concern.

“I think it’s really sad,” said senior Sam Berg, who also works as a nanny outside of class. “I didn’t realize it was such a big deal.”

Patchin has recently begun research with the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, where he provides guest lectures to National Academy students and offers training to officers on how to monitor and deal with cyberbullying.

Through all of his work, he hopes people will realize the impact of the phenomenon and begin to address it as a serious problem.

“We simply cannot ignore any form of bullying – parents, teachers, law enforcement officers, and students need to step up and make a statement that no form of bullying will be tolerated in our community,” he said. “Until that happens, bullying will continue to negatively impact our youth.”