Programs planned to aid move-out process

The end of the school year usually brings feelings of relief and joy for UW-Eau Claire students who just survived another semester.

However, for some, including Eau Claire city officials, this time of year also includes a mass exodus that can lead to messy streets and unwanted personal items piled up on curbsides.

Don’t Dump It, Donate It
Time: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Date: May 20 and May 27
Place: University Water Street parking lot

The city will organize two projects to help alleviate piles of unwanted items and to give students a place to get rid of working appliances.

In designated areas, refuse companies will be picking up curbside garbage on a daily basis, beginning May 21 and running through May 28, with the exception of May 22.

The city also has plans in motion for the fifth annual “Don’t Dump It, Donate It” drive from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on May 20 and May 27 at the University Water Street parking lot on the corner of Second Avenue and Water Street.

“What we’re trying to do here is make sure that refuse is handled properly, that tenants and students have a way to dispose of their waste and it’s done in a manner that isn’t creating problems in the neighborhood,” said Eau Claire Director of Environmental Health Darryll Farmer.

“It’s really kind of a community partnership to try to make this work and it really depends on the students and the landlords helping on their end.”

The designated pick-up areas include housing in the Water Street district and as far north as the Historic Randall Park Neighborhood. It also includes an area of the Third Ward from Garfield Avenue to Seaver Street.

Farmer said there were problems during last year’s Memorial Day parade along First Avenue with students’ belongings getting in the way.

“In the past, we’ve had problems with refuse at curb sites where people have to climb over the refuse,” Farmer said, adding they also have had problems with people putting out refuse on days when it will not be collected, such as Sundays or Memorial Day.

Farmer said, for the most part, only electric appliances will not be collected if placed on the curb. If in good working condition, Farmer advised to donate those items to “Don’t Dump It, Donate It”.

That project will collect usable clothes, household items and furniture that may not have been picked up by refuse haulers. Donations of non-perishable and unopened boxes or canned food will also be accepted and distributed to local food pantries.

In the past, Farmer said they collected almost two semis worth of donations, but he discouraged students from bringing trash that can’t be donated.

Eau Claire students will be helping with the endeavors, said Student Services Director Michelle Madsen.

Starting last Saturday, Madsen said, volunteers were distributing fliers and recruiting others to help with the effort.

“Darryll shared with me that there are definitely some community members that are frustrated by … students (who) are not disposing of trash in proper ways,” Madsen said. “That was disappointing to here. It reflects poorly upon us as students to not take the proper steps to do that.”