Deer hunting season opens this Saturday

UW-Eau Claire senior James Govier has a new reason to be excited for the upcoming weekend.

Some students will spend time working on projects or getting ready for tests before Thanksgiving break, but not Govier. Instead, he’ll spend his weekend in Minong, sitting outdoors and waiting for deer as he experiences hunting for the first time.

“I just want to go through the whole process,” Govier said. “Even if I don’t see a deer, it will still be cool.”

“Even if I don’t see a deer, it will still be cool.”
James Govier
Senior

With deer hunting season opening this Saturday and ending Nov. 28, many Eau Claire students will take part in the hunt, said MIS professor John Melrose.

Melrose, who has been hunting since he was 15, said it isn’t uncommon for some students to miss his class because of the hunting season.

“In much of Wisconsin, hunting is a family tradition and many school districts used to shut down for that entire week,” Melrose said. “As long as students have work done … I have no problem with that.”

The Department of Natural Resources’ Assistant Deer and Bear Ecologist Brad Koele said deer hunting is the most cost-effective way to reduce the population of deer.

With an overabundance of deer, he said, many problems arise, such as an increased spread of diseases and overgrazing. Hunting doesn’t only solve these problems, but also generates massive revenue for Wisconsin.

“Each year, we have people from all 50 states come and take part in the deer hunting season,” Koele said. “It’s very well known.”

Wisconsin also holds the record for the highest deer harvest at 618,000 deer in 2002, Koele said.

In order to hunt, junior and Rod and Gun Club President Kyle Dahlen said a person must be at least 12 years old. If a person is born after Jan. 1, 1973, they must pass a hunter education certification course, he said. Finally, a person needs a license, which can be purchased at any local sporting goods store for $20.

Gun license sales have increased 3 percent since last year, Koele said, along with a 7 percent increase in archery equipment sales, a sign that shows how hunting continues to gain popularity in Wisconsin.

Senior Tom Anderson said he’s been hunting for nine years and enjoys the outdoor atmosphere and the anticipation of seeing a deer. Although he usually gets a deer each year, he said, his goal this season is to finally get a buck.

“I hope to get something worth mounting on my wall,” he said.

While a person can hunt anywhere in Wisconsin, the best place known for trophy animals is Buffalo County, Koele said.

“There have been more trophy bucks harvested in Buffalo County than any other county in the United States,” he said. “It’s wonderful hunting.”

Govier said he’s not sure what this weekend will bring, but he’s glad he has the chance to finally experience the deer hunting season firsthand.

“We’re in Wisconsin,” Govier said. “This is a big thing to go deer hunting every year and I want to do it.”