Davies Center offices relocate

Standing behind the campus information desk, senior Krystal Day seems to have a fair understanding of her job responsibilities. The only thing she’s still not used to, she said, is the abundance of space around her.

“I actually kind of like it,” Day said.

The new change is the merge of the Blugold office, Campus Information Services and the Service Center.

“The whole purpose behind this was to provide more services to the students,” Mitch Kilcrease, director of University Centers and Programs, said. “We’re able to offer tickets, deposits … from the time the building opens to the time it closes.”

The space left by the Service Center and the Blugold office is now home to faculty offices and a convenience store.

Kilcrease said moving services together puts everything for students and faculty in one place, effectively utilizing the space in Davies.

Service hours also were changed to keep all three services operating at the same time. Last year, the Blugold card office closed at 4:30 p.m., the service desk at 8 p.m. and the information desk later at night, Kilcrease said.

Now, the new operating hours are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday. Weekend hours run 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.

While renovations have made things more convenient, CIS program assistant Sharon Nergaard said it will create a few new problems.

By combining all services, she said, employees will have to learn all three instead of focusing on just one. Also, with all services in one spot, it could create major congestion.

“The merging of these two areas is going to create some chaos in the beginning.”

Despite these setbacks, Day said, the first few weeks will be challenging because the new set up will take some time to get used to. She added, though, the move will pay off once everyone becomes familiar with the renovations.

Day said she also thinks she and her colleagues can offer better service.

“I think now a lot of us know more,” she said. “We’ll be able to be a lot more helpful.”

The idea for the renovation developed after the referendum for a new Davies Center failed in Spring 2003, Kilcrease said.

Because of this motion, Kilcrease said he plans on finding more ways to fix up Davies.

He noted nothing major is planned for the future.

The best plan of action, he said, is to keep updating Davies the best way possible.

“What we’re trying to do is maintain and update the facility,” Kilcrease said. “That’s an ongoing thing every year.”

“First semester is always the busiest,” Nergaard said.