Senators take office

Molly Tumanic

Student Senate set a new record for brevity during a meeting led by President Adrian Klenz – the Monday night meeting concluded in 40 minutes, beating the previous record of 45 minutes.

The old administration welcomed new and returning senators who were voted in during last week’s elections.

“It was overwhelming when they called my name during roll call,” said new on-campus Senator junior Emily Ascher.

Nine senators won their seats through write-in campaigns, including Ascher and junior Catherine Heidke.

Winning write-in candidates have to turn in a sheet of 50 student signatures to officially claim office. Heidke collected the signatures between noon and the meeting.

For her campaign, Heidke said she sent e-mails and solicited votes from friends and students in organizations she belongs to.

Heidke said she is active in Housing and Residence Life organizations. Because she is moving off campus next semester, she wanted to stay involved in student government through Senate.

Ascher also is involved with Housing and Residence Life. She said she will use her Senate position to increase her knowledge base of student government so she can be a better delegate to other universities at conferences she attends.

Ascher and Heidke said they want to connect with others so more students get interested in Senate.

Klenz welcomed the new senators and asked them to be active participants in Senate.

“We encourage you to get involved right away,” Klenz said, “Be vocal, ask questions.”