A month for women

Molly Tumanic

When junior Becky Piotrowski first heard of the Peer Diversity Educators a few years ago, she immediately became interested.

“I was a freshman and saw a poster and thought ‘Hey, that would be cool,’ ” she said.

Now Piotrowski, a sociology and psychology double major and RA in Putnam Hall, is the group’s program development coordinator. She is running a number of conferences for Women’s History Month. Women make up about 60 percent of the campus.

Events throughout the months include a diverse range of topics.

Associate history professor Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, who is black, is scheduled to lead two different meetings on issues dealing with race. The first, entitled “Race Images and Relationships for Black Women” met Tuesday and drew about 20 people. The attendees discussed misconceptions and misinterpretations of racial terms, along with the portrayals of various media figures such as Claire Huxtable from “The Cosby Show” and music artists.

For Ducksworth-Lawton’s second event entitled “Racism and Sexual Assault,” she will share the floor with visiting minority scholar Cassandra Thomas. The conference will meet from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. today in the Potowatomi Room in Davies Center.

Visiting assistant professor of history and communication and journalism Jason Tetzloff, one of two men involved in the teaching this month, presented “Naturally Native” Tuesday. It is the first film about Native American women written by, starring, directed and produced entirely by Native American women.

“I had a small, but appreciative crowd,” he said, placing the number around 10 people.

“I wish there were more men that participated,” Tetzloff said, “but I don’t think it’s a reaction to the (campus) climate.” Timing and scheduling probably contributed to the lower number of men involved, he said.

“We have a long way to go,” Tetzloff said, “to fully incorporate women’s history into mainstream history.”