Restrictions placed on frats, sorority

Editor’s note: This is the first in a two-part series on fraternity and sorority zoning issues. Part two will appear Thursday and discuss the university’s stance on the matter.

Campus organizations allege their constitutionally guaranteed right to assemble is being threatened by zoning policies directed toward fraternities and sororities.

Based on anonymous complaints to the city zoning office, members of two fraternities and a sorority were asked to apply for conditional use permits placing restrictions on activities on their properties.

“The way we feel about it is they want to kick fraternities and sororities off campus,” sophomore Sean Tallant, a Phi Sigma Phi member said.

“The way we feel about it is they want to kick fraternities and sororities off campus.”
Sean Tallant
Member of Phi Sigma Phi

The landlord for the house at 809 Graham Ave. paid for the permit on behalf of the Phi Sigma Phi members living in the house. Delta Sigma Phi members living at 913 Graham Ave. applied and received the permit. Members of the sorority Alpha Xi Delta, who reside at 1132 State St., chose not to apply for a permit.

According to the terms of the permit, both the Delta Sigs and Phi Sigma Phi agreed to: all fraternity functions cease at midnight, all meetings or events cannot have more than five people who do not live in the house without prior approval from the City Plan Commission and the fraternities cannot use their lawn for activities unless approved by the Plan Commission.

Grill-outs and other group activities will not be allowed unless approved by the plan commission; Tallant said this is a violation of constitutional law.

“We have the right to assemble,” he said.

Third Ward residents frustrated with house parties are responsible for the situation, Tallant said, and the zoning ordinance makes fraternities and sororities an easy target.

“They want to attack somebody and get something done,” he said. “They are separating fraternities and sororities from other people.”

Delta Sigma Phi President Chad Hendricks said he is pleased with how the city handled the situation, and he said members of the house plan to abide by the conditions and ask the Plan Commission for permission to hold larger group events at the house.

House members paid the $125 permit application fee and said their permit was granted with ease at last Monday’s Plan Commission meeting.

The city has known about the situation with the two fraternities and sorority but didn’t act until a few anonymous phone callers complained about the houses in autumn, city code compliance officer John Guettinger said.

“We’ve been somewhat aware of it for at least a year,” he said.

If either of the two fraternities violates the terms of the permit, Guettinger said the city might review the violation and its severity or the Plan Commission might revoke the permit and put an end to fraternity activities in the house.

The permits come under review in one year, but Guettinger said complaints could result in an immediate review of the permit.

If the conditional use permit is applied to fraternity and sorority members living together, former Phi Sigma Phi President Ross Thompson said, it should apply to other groups whose members share a house, such as the Singing Statesmen, track team members, swimmers and other student groups.

“If you single out the Greek system,” he said, “call me crazy, but I think that’s discrimination.”