Flushing the competition

Aaron Vehling

Freshman Stephanie Holte wasn’t sure what her first experience of UW-Eau Claire’s Homecoming would be like.

As a singer in the Women’s Concert Chorale, she was assured a seat on the choir’s float during the parade, which took place at 10 a.m. Saturday.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” Holte said.

The parade began at First Avenue and proceeded down the length of Water Street to Ninth Avenue.

This year’s theme was “Deal ‘Em a Royal Flush.” The theme was interpreted two ways, with toilets or playing cards gracing a majority of the floats.

Delta Sigma Phi and Delta Zeta took first place for their float that had a large toilet with a pair of legs in football pants sticking out of it. Their float also had a giant sound system, blasting the music of Christina Aguilera’s “Dirrty” down Water Street.

Designer’s Ink also followed the toilet theme and took second place in the competition, and TV-10 took third place for its float, packed with people dressed up as playing cards.

Not every float used the Homecoming theme in its construction. Eau Claire’s water ski team towed people on skateboards and inline skates behind a boat hoisted onto a trailer. The float boasted a tropical theme and played music by Bob Marley.

There also was a procession of various sports cars for the Homecoming court, including this year’s Homecoming King, senior Joe Rand, and Queen, junior Jackie Thomas.

Junior Katie Robertson saw the parade for the first time, watching it with her roommates and friends from her front porch on the sixth block of Water Street.

She was happy with the parade atmosphere, Robertson said.

“It’s a great precursor to the (football) game for school spirit.”

In addition to floats, the parade featured several marching units, including the university’s marching band and four high school bands.

Residents of Governors Hall performed a choreographed street dance with folding chairs to Limp Bizkit’s song “Rollin’.”

Brian Zink, who attends Michigan Tech University, was visiting his girlfriend who goes to Eau Claire. He compared Eau Claire’s Homecoming events to Michigan Tech’s.

“Our Homecoming is pretty much nonexistent,” he said. “This was a lot more fun.”

Holte’s first Homecoming experience with the women’s concert chorale turned out to be worthwhile.

“Being on the float with the other ‘Woc-ettes’ was an experience that I won’t forget,” she said. “It was so fun.”