Alcohol misuse on Eau Claire campus main topic at Roundtable

Aaron Vehling

The issue of alcohol misuse on campuses across the nation is something that has been recurring throughout the years. This time, however, it is receiving much more attention, Chancellor Donald Mash said.

Mash addressed alcohol misuse at his first Chancellor’s Roundtable of the fall semester in front of 21 students and nine faculty members in the Presidents Room of Davies Center.

“(Alcohol) isn’t a new issue,” Mash said. “The main challenge for college leaders is getting a handle of alcohol misuse on campus. This suggests that this is an issue of significance.”

Mash pointed out that the university has not been silent on the alcohol issue and stated that there is a heightened awareness.

“Eau Claire is no worse than any other (university),” he said. “We’re simply working at it.”

Associate Dean of Students Bob Shaw said drink specials at local bars add to the problem of misuse.

“We see alcohol as part of the rights of passage,” Shaw said. “Once you have too much of it, you lose your judgment.”

Senior Nate Kaiser said he understands the university’s concerns about drinking in regards to Water Street, but it bothered him that the university is trying to interfere with the way local businesses are running.

“It should be the consumers pursuing changes, not the university,” said Kaiser, a business major.

The discussion continued with possible solutions to reduce alcohol abuse on campus, such as using real-life stories to help the issues hit home with students.

Matt Beasley, a senior and president of Mortar Board, said that even though the extreme consequences of alcohol may or may not happen to someone, if you make stories personal, it will really affect students.

“It is important for us to work together to help students digest this information,” he said.

In addition to the issue of alcohol, those in attendance also discussed Davies Center.

Vice Chancellor Andy Soll explained a proposal for a committee on the future of Davies that was prepared by Student Senate President Adrian Klenz. Soll said the committee will try to establish an information campaign about issues facing the building as its primary goal.

Soll said he hopes that from all of the efforts to form the committee, a direction will rise to the surface.

He also mentioned the possibility of forming another referendum for the center.

“That unsuccessful referendum (last year) doesn’t make the problem go away,” he said. “It means we just have to work harder.”

Roundtable discussions are open to all students and take place three times each semester.