Shamrock Shuffling through the snow

As the March sun begins to peak through the haze of winter clouds, many students slowly emerge from their houses and dorm rooms.

In attempts to push winter away for yet another year, some may go for an afternoon walk or jog through Carson Park.

The Shamrock Shuffle
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Date: Sunday
Place: Carson Park
Cost: $10, advanced registration; $12, day of the event registration

On Sunday, students and community members alike will have the opportunity to participate in the annual Shamrock Shuffle, a five-kilometer run/walk, starting at 9:30 a.m. in Carson Park.

“(The event) really encompasses a lot of different people in a lot of different ways,” said Vicki Funne Reed, assistant director of UW-Eau Claire’s University Recreation.

The Shamrock Shuffle is a fund-raiser for Safe and Sound, a part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program, and the National Youth Sports Program, a University Recreation newsletter stated.

NYSP is a federally funded program sponsored by the NCAA and University Recreation at UW-Eau Claire, according to University Recreation. The program is primarily for children from economically disadvantaged families.

As a five-week summer program, NYSP promotes athletic know-how and life skills. Last year, the program was held at 200 colleges and universities, according to the group’s Web site.

College and university personnel work to identify economically disadvantaged children who could most benefit from the safe haven and educational benefits of NYSP.

To organize the Shamrock Shuffle, Funne Reed works with people from the Big Brothers Big Sisters program, as well as student groups and University Recreation staff.

“One of the (student) aerobic instructors is using the Shuffle as her volunteer experience at the university,” Funne Reed said.

Senior Heather Andrews, one of the three girls who started the Shamrock Shuffle last year, made the event possible because she wanted others to have positive experiences through fun runs/walks.

Last year, the event attracted just less than 300 participants, Funne Reed said.

As a student teacher this semester, Andrews has been in local schools and says she’s seen that NYSP and Safe and Sound are beneficial to the community. “Students need positive role models,” Andrews said.

Andrews makes contacts to area businesses, asking if they could contribute to the event. Before the event, she runs or bikes the path she hopes to be the course and looks for icy spots.

“On race day, I am the lead bike, showing runners where the course is,” Andrews said. “I then bike the course back and forth to encourage runners and thank volunteers who are out on the course.”

The Shamrock Shuffle will begin at Carson Park’s pavilion, located at the end of the main parking lot. The course will wind down toward Dairy Queen, then to Lakeshore Elementary School and finally back to Carson Park.

For those who register in advance at Hilltop Recreation, the cost is $10. Registration will be $12 on the day of the event at Carson Park.

The first 200 people to register will receive T-shirts that day, Funne Reed said. There also will be drawings for restaurant coupons.