Student campaigns as write-in

A new presidential ticket is competing in the Student Senate elections next week, but the names of the candidates won’t be on the ballot.

Senior Benjamin Hack, and running mate sophomore Aaron Olson decided last week to start a write-in campaign after a conversation about the election and their views on the candidates.

“Looking at the candidates out there, they aren’t taking a strong enough stance on issues,” Hack said.

Students need a leader who is going to act on personal beliefs for what’s best for the student body, he said.

The two students were beyond the required time to get their names on the ballot, but not having a name on a ballot says something about a candidate, Olson said.

“If a person takes the time to learn your name and vote for you, he or she definitely thinks you will be a great president,” he said. “The other candidates are just competing for people who pick their presidents like they rent a movie at Blockbuster.”

Parking is one of the key items on their platform, and Hack says a solution for the daily congestion in the Phillips lot needs to be found so students don’t miss class while looking for a spot.

Hack proposes price incentives be used to encourage students to park in the Haas Fine Arts and Water Street lots.

Spending control is the other part of their campaign platform.

With inevitable tuition increases, Hack said he doesn’t support raising student segregated fees to pay for a new student center or even an addition.

“It’s an extravagance we cannot afford,” he said. “I think Davies Center serves our needs.”

Hack favors controlling spending on co-curricular activities and said if programs don’t serve a legitimate academic purpose, then their funding should be seriously questioned.

Although they have not been involved in Student Senate, Hack and Olson say that is beneficial.

“The Senate seems out of touch with the campus,” Olson said.

Olson and Hack emphasized that candidates on the ballot are not the only choices.

“The point that we are not on the ballot only enforces that we are a fresh start for Eau Claire,” Olson said. “We are not the typical ‘clique’ candidates.”