Candidates debate budget concerns, Davies

Aaron Vehling

Candidates for Student Senate president and vice president debated their platforms in front of a mixed crowd of students, some just eating and others supporting their pick, who filled The Cabin at noon on Wednesday.

Student Senate President Sarah Schuh mediated the debate, which included time for the candidates to introduce themselves and then answer seven questions prepared by Schuh.

Responses to the questions were relatively similar in that each candidate stressed more student involvement. The clear difference between senior Adrian Klenz and junior Saskia Harak, a junior, is their stances on the Davies Center expansion project.

Student Senate elections
Date: Monday through Thursday

Harak said she would support the final vote on the referendum, regardless of the outcome. Her running mate, junior Kevin Funk, added that the best thing for them to do is give students information so they can make the most informed decision when casting their ballot.

If the referendum is passed, Harak said she would lobby to get more students on the expansion planning committee.

“We need to make sure student voice is involved,” she said.

Klenz and his running mate, sophomore Kate Demerse, challenged the Harak ticket by taking a direct stance on the issue.

“The job of a leader is to take a stand on different issues,” Klenz said.

Klenz and Demerse do not support the referendum, which if passed, would call for the construction of a $36.1 million student center. The candidates, however, said they would accept the student body’s decision. They agreed with Harak to push for more student voice on the committee if the referendum is passed. If voted down, Klenz said he would start the process over.

The question on how to deal with the proposed budget cuts announced for the UW System and what programs to continue funding also split the candidates.

Klenz reiterated his platform of fiscal responsibility for UW-Eau Claire and a push to maintain excellence in education.

“We need to make sure we have a strong, vocal leadership so we are not forgotten (during budget cuts),” he said.

Increasing financial aid and diversity on campus are the areas Harak plans to lobby for more money.

Harak, specifically, would like to push for more money for Plan 2008 at the university. The goal of this plan is to enhance opportunities for targeted minorities.

She agreed with Klenz that the Senate president must be vocal during the budget cuts, adding she that has the vocal ability and experience to do so.

Although candidates made their closing remarks to a nearly empty room, their platforms distinguished the difference between the presidential tickets.

Harak and Funk maintain they have experience on issues they feel are important goals for Senate.

“Compare the platforms,” Harak said. “We have plans for how we want to accomplish goals.”

Klenz and Demerse would like to push for more interaction between students and the community. They also said they hope to get students energized about Senate issues.

“This is not just something to put on my resume,” Klenz said. “This is a stepping stone to service.”