Focus stays on river

Eau Claire police and fire officials still have found no sign of junior Michael J. Noll, despite continued search efforts in and along the Chippewa River.

On Wednesday, the Eau Claire Fire Department searched along the river, checking the water and shoreline for any sign of Noll. The Rochester, Minn., native disappeared after leaving a Water Street bar Nov. 6, his 22nd birthday.

The fire department would continue to do what is needed to help find Noll, Eau Claire Fire Deputy Chief Lyle Koerner said Wednesday. The decision on how to approach each day’s search will be based on the river and weather conditions, he said.

The Eau Claire Police Department was planning Wednesday to again search garages and other structures in the area around Noll’s First Avenue home to verify none of them have been missed in the search.

Police Deputy Chief Gary Foster said Wednesday that he was fairly confident all of the garages in the area have been checked, but added that the department wanted to verify that.

Police stopped their land and water search near Noll’s house Tuesday afternoon, even though search dogs kept leading investigators to the same spot in the river.

Police Sgt. Steve Page said Tuesday the department used search dogs and cadaver dogs to try to find clues to Noll’s disappearance. Search dogs are trained to key off of things, such as articles of clothing, Page said. Cadaver dogs are trained to distinguish scents given by bodies.

Both the search and cadaver dogs were leading the search crew to the same spot of the Chippewa River, near First Avenue and Second Street, that the fire department had been dragging earlier in the search, Page said.

The water level of that stretch of the river varies considerably, ranging from almost zero to 13 or 15 feet, Koerner said.

Page said it was difficult for him to say whether the search parties would find Noll.

“You always have the hope that he’s somewhere or with someone,” Page said. “You always hear about people getting bonked on the head and forgetting who they are. You have to keep the hope.”