Community service seeks to improve students’ image

Molly Tumanic

University students worked toward helping out the community Saturday in an effort called Tidy Up the Town, which consisted of about 40 students from different campus organizations helping out the area residents.

Students who participated in the event assisted citizens of the Eau Claire community with the raking of leaves and other fall clean-up procedures, said LeeAnn Haupt, consultant for Involvement Activities and Programs.

“This project is a great way (for students) to help someone else,” Haupt said, “and for students to earn service learning credits.”

Specific yards involved with the event are designated by the Triniteam Caregivers, an organization that assists the eldery and disabled with yard work and home maintenance.

Junior Erica Daniels said it was a good way to get involved in giving back to the community.

“I think it’s important that the students get a good name in the community,” she said. “It’s a great way for other student organizations to get together and work.”

Senior Dan Eshleman enjoyed the opportunity to experience the local environment.

“It’s a way to work outdoors,” he said. “It makes the town tidy and it helps give a better image to the community.”

Events like this give the public a sense of how the students care about others in the community in which they live, junior Lacey Crownhart said.

“I think things like this help the university’s relationship (with the community),” she said. “This shows that the students are willing to help out and give back to the community.”