Sodexho still working out kinks

Ben Smidt

Long lines and high prices seem to be students’ biggest complaints about Sodexho Campus Services, the dining service that replaced Chartwells at the end of May.

“Right now it is not too efficient,” junior Jeff Clochesy said. “But I would say that is because it is just starting out and everybody is new.”

Gary Prellwitz, food service director, said the lines will shrink as kinks are worked out of the system. The Sodexho food shops officially opened Sept. 3.

“Everyone just needs to get used to it and have all the pieces in place,” he said.

In addition to the natural efficiency that will come as employees and students get used to the new system, Prellwitz said more employees will be hired.

“Part of (the problem) is our volume is higher than we expected and part of it is we do have a need to get more student employees,” Prellwitz said.

Many students who worked for Chartwells are returning and other students showed interest at the job fair, Prellwitz said.

He also is seeking additional full-time employees for the Sky Ranch Grill, Pete’s Arena on lower campus and at the Market Place cashier counter.

Sodexho is still working on completing the dining areas.

Many decorations have yet to go up, and some changes are being made for things that weren’t done right over the summer, Prellwitz said.

The condiment area in Market Place is one area they would like to improve.

“We’re hoping to kind of renovate that little space – make it look nicer and add a little more functionality to it,” Prellwitz said.

As for students’ concerns about the prices, Prellwitz said they are working on developing specials that will be daily or weekly. He hopes they will be in place next week.

Clochesy said the prices at Market Place are high now, but he would be more likely to go back when the specials start.

Nick Radichel, a sophomore who eats at Hilltop, said the selection is down from last year.

Students will have an opportunity to express their concerns about the food selection later this fall when Sodexho distributes a student survey.

Prellwitz said the survey has been ordered, but he doesn’t know exactly when it will be given to students.

The student feedback will be used to make changes to the service and products.