Foreign festival successful

Cookies, punch and international education drew hundreds of people to the Council Fire Room of Davies Center Thursday afternoon.

The UW-Eau Claire Center for International Education held its annual Study Abroad Fair.

Display tables staffed by students who studied abroad were set up for each of the programs offered.

Senior Samantha Michels, who traveled to France in fall 2000, answered questions for students at the fair.

Her time in France helped her speaking skills and comprehension, she said.

“I was worried that my speaking and comprehension wouldn’t be up to par but by the time I left, my skills had improved tremendously,” Michels said.

Senior Andrei Strizek spent three months in Britain with the International Education Program. He answered questions for students about one of the British trips.

“It was a very enjoyable experience,” Strizek said. “The people there are very friendly but not as outgoing. The only rude people I met were some of the bus drivers.”

The event was a success, said study abroad coordinator Susan Lochner, who organized the event.

The fair drew more people this year than any other, she said.

Lochner attributed the increased turnout to smarter advertising.

“This year we targeted classes and specific groups that we knew could use the programs to fulfill academic requirements,” Lochner said.

She said the fair has been an event for over eight years and students who attend it usually are satisfied with what they learn.

“Everyone usually finds something they like in the programs,” Lochner said.

Students who make use of the programs often find themselves studying alongside other American students in special universities for traveling students. On some programs, however, the traveling students study directly with their host country’s college populations.

Senior Laura Van Zandt spent her time in Ireland. Classes were mixed with both Irish and American students, which added to the experience, she said.

“It’s a beautiful country and it’s an actual immersion into their school system,” she said.

Senior Rebecca Estelle said she was always curious about going to Australia and hopes she will be able to study there next year.

“Australia has always been an interesting place to me,” she said. “I do want to experience life outside of the United States. I just haven’t had a chance yet.”

Freshman Kate Trjanowski said she was curious about the Australian and British programs. One of the reasons for her interest in those trips she said, was the lack of language requirements.

“I just think it’d be nice to get outside of the United States, and I don’t really know any other languages,” she said.

Other students were interested in specific trips for more personal reasons.

“I actually have relatives in England,” freshman Katie Nutting said. “I’ve always been interested in other cultures and England is really part of my heritage.”

Freshman Leah Meyer said a lifelong interest in Ireland led her to visit the fair.

“As a child, I was always interested in folklore and fairy tales,” Meyer said. “It’s all imagination . it’s just a very poetic country.

“I think if you want to learn about a culture, the only way is firsthand,” Meyer said. “It’s all truth when it’s firsthand.”