Enduring adversity

Ben Smidt

At the end of his sophomore year, Chris Crutchley was considering dropping out of college.

Now a senior, his decision to stay has been rewarding. Crutchley was selected to receive a merit scholarship that is awarded annually to two UW System students of color pursuing undergraduate degrees in business or related fields.

The Laurence A. and Frances L. Weinstein Scholarship will cover his tuition and fees for one year.

“This scholarship means a great deal to me,” said Crutchley, a management information systems major.

Crutchley came to Eau Claire from Black River Falls with the Erwin Homstad Scholarship that covered his tuition for two years.

He began his college career playing running back for the Blugold football team. He later switched to defensive back, but stopped playing after his sophomore year when he developed a medical condition forcing him to quit. Crutchley requested not to reveal the condition in this article.

“I was just struggling to stay out of the hospital and stay in school,” Crutchley said. “When it comes to a matter of health, it was like you have done as well as you could have, but you should probably stop before you push yourself over the edge.”

He ran track as well, and his doctor eventually allowed him to join again, but Crutchley declined.

“I just decided sports were something that probably wouldn’t happen and I should probably just focus on school,” he said.

As an NCAA All-American in track and field and a two-year letter winner in football, Crutchley ended his career in sports.

He still remains active, though. Between classes and studying, he plays flag football, lifts weights and runs with his twin brother, Chad.

Chad was in football and track with Chris and has seen all the work Chris has put into school in order to receive the merit scholarship.

“He has always focused on education and always excelled at everything he has done,” Chad said. “It is a great scholarship and I am really proud of him.”

Chris and Chad are the youngest of five boys in their family. From the time they were three and the oldest brother was 11, their mom raised them on her own.

“She was very tough, but she had to be, and she was very dependable,” Chris said. “I took her for granted. When I got to school, I realized I didn’t have somebody looking out for me like she did.”

Chris is close to her and they see each other about once a week. He credits her with instilling in him the value to get a good education.

Chris Crutchley plans to graduate in December 2003 and would like to work as a project manager in the information technology field.