Day of tribute

In various ways, the UW-Eau Claire campus will recognize this week the one-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

From a library display to candlelight vigils, the events will attempt to inform students of the tragic day in American history and honor those who died in the attacks.

Student Senate will host a candlelight vigil at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday on the Campus Mall.

Sophomore Lisa Huftel, Senate’s director of student life and diversity, said the vigil will be a time of reflection and unity.

“Lighting candles as a community represents the respect and compassion many feel about the tragedies of last year,” Huftel said.

The vigil will feature several speakers, including Pastor Don Wisner of University Lutheran, Senate Vice President Matt Flaten and Don Mowry, director of service learning.

Mowry will talk about the importance of community involvement.

Luke Peters, a volunteer from the relief efforts in New York, will give an account of his experience a year ago.

At 7:45 a.m. on Wednesday, two trumpet players will play dual taps at each end of the footbridge. During the song, faculty, staff and students will throw 3,000 rose petals into the Chippewa River.

The petals represent the estimated number of people killed in the terrorist attacks.

The tolling of a bell will end the memorial, marking the times of the crashes into the second World Trade Center tower, the Pentagon and the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.

Throughout this week, McIntyre Library will continue to feature Sept. 11-related items in its Grand Corridor.

Various books, manuscripts and periodicals will be on display until Sept. 30.

Articles about terrorism and books on international politics and the Taliban are available.

The community at the Ecumenical Religious Center will contribute to the Sept. 11 memorial events by leading an 11-minute prayer starting at 9:11 a.m.

The university’s student chapter of Amnesty International will feature Sept. 11-related poetry during a reading from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at The Cabin in Davies Center.

Rebecca Malke, co-president of the student chapter, said she thinks poetry is a potent method of expressing emotions tied to Sept. 11.

“Words are very powerful,” Malke said. “This kind of poetry makes you wanna stand up and say, ‘Yeah!'”

Huftel said she thinks that most Americans are unified in one aspect since Sept. 11.

“I believe that we’re all fighting for the same goal – peace,” Huftel said.

“By attending the vigil,” she said, “it will bring us one step closer to victory.”