Rally staged against reduced benefits

At a time when the UW-Eau Claire budget is still in its crucial stages, classified staff employees from Eau Claire want their voices heard.

On March 28, 52 people from Eau Claire, including program assistants, custodians, probation officers, retirees, college students and children attended a rally at the State Capital in Madison. The last state employee rally took place in 1977.

At noon, about 2000 people listened to the international president of the American federation of state, county and municipal employees, and other speakers on the west lawn.

After they listened, Eau Claire staff had the opportunity to speak against the UW System’s pay freeze and against reducing benefits, such as health insurance and service pay with legislators .

Jack Connell, president of the local 1914 Wisconsin State Employee Union, said he recognizes there is a large responsibility to appropriately work with the budget.

“We were targeted to offset this $1.1 billion deficit,” Connell said. “All we want is respect at our work site.”

Representatives from Eau Claire met either directly with legislators or with their staff members to discuss the budget issues.

Although many were not in Madison, the legislators met with their staff members instead.

Sen. Rob Moen (D-Wis.) was available to meet with the people. Connell thought it was important that he got to see the faces of people who perform for the state.

We left posters for the legislators who were not present, Connell said.

“We are workers that are blue-collar, we are secretarials, we are meat-inspection workers,” said Robin Leary, administrative support unit and executive board member of Wisconsin State Employee Union Local 1914.

“We believe we’ve entitled respect,” she said.

The local chapter paid for meals and beverages on the bus.

“It was very worthwhile,” Leary said. “It was a good day to have our voices heard.”