Events celebrate, promote Native culture

Senior Loyola Jack said he hopes that during Native American Awareness Week people will gain a better awareness of Native American culture.

“We’re going to make different cultural aspects -food, dance, and different issues that we face,” the president of the Native American Student Association said.

Celebrating and promoting Native American culture will take place through a variety of activities during Native American Awareness Week, April 15-20.

Activities will include a variety of public speakers presentations and performances to the public. Most are available at no cost to the public.

Knight Journalist in Residence Barbara Blackdeer-Mackenzie will give a speech, “Economic Sovereignty for Indian Tribes,” at noon today in the Potawatomi Room of Davies Center.

Other presentations address current and historical issues that affect a variety of Native American tribes and cultures.

A traditional Pow Wow will take place in Zorn Arena to close out the week’s events. A feast held at the Children’s Center will follow the first segment of the Pow Wow. The admission price is $3, and the cost of the meal is included.

A concert by Litefoot, the first Native American Rap artist, will close out the week’s festivities at 10:30 p.m. Saturday.

Junior Danielle Koehn said she believes the events are a good opportunity although she is unsure if she will attend.

“It is a nice option to get to learn about different cultures,” she said.

The Native American Student Association contributed to the Awareness Week by inviting two of the guest speakers, organizing events, and fund raising.

“If we can educate somebody or ten people, then it’s ten people that have more education on Native Americans,” Jack said, “and then they can educate more people.”