UWEC celebrates National Coming Out Day

Uncommon Denominator headlines National Coming Out Day
Photo by Mady Leick
The Davies Student Center was decorated to celebrate.

This past Wednesday, students gathered outside of Davies Student Center to celebrate National Coming Out Day. The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center hosted the event and covered the Davies Student Center in an outspoken way. 

There were booths with different student organizations and resources. Students gathered to grab the free condoms and tote bags, hear a local band perform and celebrate queer students. 

Uncommon Denominator headlined the event, performing an array of musical selections. From Abba to Shania Twain to Shrek 2, they performed a number of hits, and students gathered on the lawn to experience it. 

Uncommon denominator performing in front of the Davies Student Center (Photo by Mady Leick)

This event came mere days after the student senate passed Resolution 67-R-3, in support of National Coming Out Day, as Student Body President, Brett Farmer discussed. He talked through what it means to be on a campus that is this queer-friendly.

“Being on a campus that is so queer-friendly, and is regarded as such, it means a lot for students to know there is a place for them—we don’t just say there is a place for them,” Farmer said.

This support is seen in a number of ways.

“Coming out as a college student is so strange, you get thrust into this new world, you can be yourself,” Farmer said. 

Dorothy Baker, representative for queer-affirming churches, said that with stress comes the priority of the campus to provide a safe space for students. 

“I think part of it is there is a place where they are welcome, (where students) clearly feel that they are welcome,” Baker said. 

This welcoming energy is nothing new to UW-Eau Claire, as it is ranked among the most queer-friendly schools in the nation. This reputation is something that Eau Claire values, with events consistently occurring to celebrate queer students. 

This is not the only major event celebrating queer students. Q-Fest is an event occurring the weekend of Oct. 17 through Oct. 21. 

Q-fest is among the numerous opportunities students have to celebrate. There will be over a dozen films displayed in The Woodland Theatre in the Davies Center. 

In addition to Q-Fest, Pride is a student organization that works to support queer individuals on campus. Featured at National Coming Out Day, it also provides a number of events, in addition to creating a safe space for queer students. 

Throughout campus, there are ways to celebrate, even beyond Oct. 11.

Gender and Sexuality Resource Center intern and outspokenly queer student Primrose Walker said, “Gay people have historically not been allowed to come out, we’ve had to be secret, hide our identities, but today we are here, we are queer.”

Leick can be reached at l[email protected]