Meet the man behind ‘UW-Eau Claire Secret Admirers’

Since joining Facebook on March 10, the UW-Eau Claire Secret Admirers page has 2,423 likes as of late Wednesday night.

The page has exploded since its arrival and the man behind the page said it has exceeded all his expectations.

Freshman public relations major David Engebretson is the administrator of the site and can review, confirm or deny posts as they come in. He said his main objective for the site is to make campus a better, more intertwined community.

“My main goal for this site is to spread positivity and happiness,” Engebretson said. “During that process, I hope that people will form friendships and relationships and make campus more of a family.”

Engebretson said, as a shy person himself, he made the page as an outlet for others to express their feelings from the safety of their home.

“Some of these people (posting) are some of the nicest people on campus,” he said. “They don’t want to follow their heart. When they see the person around campus they freeze up. This site gives them a way to anonymously share their feelings in a safe environment.”

There are many different types of posts on the page, from posts asking for a certain type of person to personal crushes.

Something not found on the site are any explicit sexual language or crushes posted about people who already have a partner.

Engebretson said these rules are purely out of respect for people. He intends for the site to bring happiness to people and does not want to harm relationships.

“I can’t just post anything that comes through,” he said. “In regards to people in a relationship, my goal is to bring people closer together, not split them up. Some of the posts are way too graphic and also about people who are in a committed relationship. Those posts I don’t let through.”

Sophomore psychology major Carla Turner has had a post dedicated to her on the page. She said that she was pleasantly surprised when she saw her name on the wall, but decided not to take further action.

The exact post read: “Carla Turner, I met you at V ball last night and danced with you a few times. You are the most gorgeous woman and I couldn’t take my eyes off you when you sang in the beginning of the night. I hope I see you around more!”

“I actually didn’t go on the site until I was tagged on that post and I looked at it,” Turner said. “I was flattered that someone said the things they did, but they haven’t contacted me further or anything like that.”

Freshman Miranda Stelmach was also posted about on the Secret Admirers page and said, while the gesture is nice, there is something in the back of her head that does not feel right.

“I feel like people should be straight forward and talk to me in person,” Stelmach said. Now I’m wondering if the people that post on the site are watching me in class. If it makes people happy, then good, I’m glad it’s out there for people to use.”

Engebretson said he sees no end in sight for the page.

“As long as there are students who want to post their admirations for other students, I will post them,” he said. “I have no thoughts of stopping.”