Offense struggles to score in loss to Warhawks

The UW-Whitewater women’s basketball team took advantage of their pressure defense as well as UW-Eau Claire senior forward Sarah Bingea’s absence in the second half, claiming a 57-43 victory Saturday at Zorn Arena.

Eau Claire turned the ball over 10 times in the first half while shooting just 28 percent, trailing 29-20 at halftime.

The loss could have long-term consequences, as Bingea, the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, left the game after the first half with an apparent ankle injury.

Bingea, who had seven points at the time, came crashing to the ground at the 1:18 mark of the first half and spent the rest of the game on crutches.

Without her, the Blugolds rallied, pulling to within 4 points early in the second half, but Whitewater guard Mary Merg took command of the game and the Blugolds never got within 10 after the 10:29 mark of the second half.

Courtney Lewis became the go-to person in the offense, as she led Eau Claire in scoring for the second straight game, this time scoring nine points.

Several Blugolds got a chance to play in Bingea’s absence. Englund emptied her bench, using 12 different players throughout the game.

Merg, who created problems for the Blugolds with her ability to create her own shot, led the Warhawks in scoring with 13.

The Blugolds travel to UW-Oshkosh on Wednesday to face the Titans, a team the Blugolds beat earlier in the month.  Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. at the Kolf Sports Center.

Check back for extended coverage or pick up Thursday’s edition of The Spectator.