Senate to vote on travel reimbursement and technology fee allocation next week

Sen. Ben Krall introduced two bills in Monday’s Student Senate meeting. One dealt with the reimbursement rate for Senate travel expenses and the other dealt with technology fee budget ranges.

The first bill seeks to increase the amount of money that students get for meals while traveling. Currently, senators can get $15 total including $3 for breakfast, $5 for lunch and $7 for dinner.

The amounts have stayed the same for more than 20 years, according to the bill. The new proposal seeks to increase the total to $31 with $5 for breakfast, $9 for lunch and $17 for dinner.

This is in line with a “Food Policy” that the university uses which is based on a state rate. The increase is being paid for from Senate’s general operating budget, President Phil Rynish said.

The other bill introduced concerns the fiscal year 2013 student technology fee budget ranges.

The technology fee is equivalent to 2 percent of the previous year’s tuition. The money must be spent on technology that “is generally accessible to all students,” as stated in the bill. This is mandatory according to the UW System as well.

The biggest amount goes to servers, networking, storage and backup for data. This has a range of $400,000 to $550,000.

Other ranges include $105,000 to $115,000 for permanent positions such as the Help Desk and $150,000 to $180,000 for software licensing.

According to the bill, prices fluctuate, which is why ranges and not totals are used.

However, the estimated total for everything is $1,094,190 for 2012-2013.  Both bills will be voted on next week.