The Rookie’s guide to sports: Frolf

Some folks out there perhaps have never heard the word “frolf.” For those of you who haven’t, I’ll enlighten you!

“Frolf,” if you haven’t guessed, isn’t just a clever hybrid of the words, “Frisbee” and “golf,” but also of the games themselves.

But it goes by many names: Frolf, Frisbee golf, disc golf, discing, etc. A pro will tell you there are subtle, significant differences within these terms, but as a rookie, I make no distinction.

So please, if you are a professional, understand that I don’t know the difference and don’t hate me for it. Hate me for my next statement.

Basically, Frisbee golf is golf, but without clubs and carts. You start at a set point and throw your disc as far as you can, while aiming at a basket.

The number of throws it takes you to get your disc into the basket is your score, relative to the par, or the number of throws it should take you.

So if par for the hole is three, and you make your disc in the basket in four throws, your score is +1. Likewise, if you get it in the basket in two throws, that’s -1.

Like golf, the idea is to have the lowest possible score.

Above all, frolf is a relaxed sport. It’s easy, and sure, technique will help your game, but it’s not required to have a good time. You should take my word for it, because I’m pretty awful.

Since it’s a simple game that you can just play with your friends, it gathers a diverse audience of players.

Plus, there’s little equipment involved. The only thing you’re really required to have is a disc.

If you want to get really intense, you can get specific types of discs that perform differently according to how far you want it go.

Once again, similar to golf, there are drivers (which are used for long shots), mid-range discs, and putters (which are designed to fly straight in order to make short-range shots).

It’s nice to have each type of disc so you can play from any distance, but honestly, any disc will do if you’re playing casually.

When disc golf gets difficult is trying to perfect the technique of throwing. There are a few ways to throw the disc. Most easy is the backhand throw, the way a person would normally throw a Frisbee, which is good for accuracy, but it won’t go very far.

To really get distance, a person has to do a fore hand throw, which at first is kind of awkward. The first time I tried to do one, the disc flopped around like a pancake and hit the dirt, as, I’m sure, many first forehands do. However, by the end, I was keeping it level and getting a few good throws.

What makes disc golf so great is that it’s easy-going enough for you to be casual and challenging enough for you to be serious about it. Either way, it’s a fun, free thing to with friends, and that’s certainly a virtue.