Blugolds come up short against NAIA power St. Francis

FILE PHOTO: Emmalee Rathmann

With a nine-hour drive to Fort Wayne (Ind.) to play against the No. 2-ranked team in the NAIA, the UW-Eau Claire football team knew it would have its work cut out for it when it faced the University of St. Francis (Ill.).

And it turned out it wasn’t right.

The No. 19-ranked Blugolds were shut out in the second half and outscored 21-3 in the second quarter, as they suffered their second loss of the year, a 35-10 defeat to the Cougars.

“It was a tough situation for the boys,” coach Todd Hoffner said. “They were very talented and athletic.”

Unlike NCAA Div. III teams, NAIA teams can give athletic scholarships, giving non-scholarship teams an uphill battle.

The lone touchdown scored by the Blugolds, a 21-yard touchdown pass by senior Jesse Krzyzanowski to his brother, senior Darin Krzyzanowski, gave the team a 7-0 lead, which stood until early in the second quarter and had the ‘Golds’ spirits high.

“We were in the game for quite awhile, but the plays just didn’t go our way,” said junior Ryan Schulz, who recorded an interception. “It leaves a bad feeling in your stomach. It’s tough to get in the car and travel that far after a loss like that.”

The Cougars (3-0) scored three touchdowns in the second quarter, including a 5-yard run with just 18 seconds left in the half.

“It was a tough quarter for us,” Hoffner said. “We had a chance in the red zone and defensively we just didn’t stop them.”

The Blugolds (1-2) still had a chance in the second half but squandered two long drives, including a turnover on downs on fourth-and-goal from the 5-yard line. The next drive, which lasted 10 plays, resulted in an interception.

Costly turnovers were a theme for the Blugolds throughout the game, with two interceptions, one fumble lost and the turnover on downs.

“It’s tough for everyone on the team,” Schulz said. “The offense did a good job but just couldn’t come up with it in the red zone.”

The Blugolds were outgained by the Cougars in yards with 459-298, including only 104 yards on the ground.

Statistically, sophomore Tony Hull had his second 100-yard receiving day of the season, catching 7 passes for 110 yards. Krzyzanowski was in double digits for receptions with 12.

Despite this loss, the Blugolds will try to refocus for the conference opener Saturday, when they travel to No. 11 UW-Whitewater for a date with the undefeated Warhawks.

Schulz said he expects a great atmosphere and a good match-up with the Warhawks.

“They’re always a tough team,” he said. “Everyone’s going to be a tough game, that’s just the way the WIAC is. It’s what football’s all about.”