National spotlight has women in third, men 10th

Through two days of the Div. III national championships, the UW-Eau Claire women’s team is in third, while the men’s golf team sits in 10th place after three days.

Golfing at Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club in Southern Pines, N.C., the women sit 14 strokes off second-place University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas), and 25 strokes off first-place Methodist College (N.C.).

Junior Maggie Loney led the Blugolds in the first two days of the event, shooting a 78 and 77 respectively, in her first two rounds. Her score of 11 over 155 leaves her in a tie for second place, six strokes behind leader Charlotte Williams from Methodist College.

Sophomore Jesse Thompson also is putting in a strong showing for the Blugolds, shooting a first day 79 and a second day 88 to give her a 23 over 167. Thompson currently sits in a four-way tie for 15th.

Finishing off the first two rounds for the Blugolds were senior Andrea Kloppman with a 172, freshman Meghan Sobotta with a 175 and sophomore Kelly Gerzsenyi with a 176.

The Blugolds will be on the course again tomorrow and conclude their season Friday with the end of the national tournament.

A little farther south, the men’s team competes in the national championship at the Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort in

Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.

Through three days, the men have a combined score of 926, or 62 over par, which leaves them in 10th place with one round to play. Junior Derek Pirkl is leading the way for the Blugolds in a tie for 27th place with a three round total of 228, or 12 over par.

Sophomore Mike Greer turned in the lowest score of the first three days on Wednesday when he fired a 1 over 72. Greer currently sits in a tie for 33rd.

After two solid opening rounds, sophomore Tyler Leis fired an 11 over 83 on Wednesday to drop out of the top 20 to 54th.

Junior Grant Lissick, along with senior Aaron Olson, rounded out the top five for Eau Claire. Lissick currently is in a tie for 79th with a 23 over 239, while Olson stands in 96th with a 27 over 243. Tomorrow will be the fourth and final round of tournament and the end of the season for the Blugolds.