A smooth brew

Bringing a history of the beer-making process, two local breweries are providing employment to students and a unique flavor to the region’s culture.

Representatives from both Northwoods Brew Pub, 3560 Oakwood Mall Drive, and Leinenkugel’s Brewery Co., 1 Jefferson Ave., Chippewa Falls, said their breweries attract and are enjoyed by students.

Northwoods has events and discounts geared toward students, said Pam Staff Erickson, manager of Northwoods.

“Around 20 students usually show up for (our) College ID nights on Thursdays,” she said.

At College ID Night, 20 ounce taps cost $1.75 instead of the usual $3.25, Staff Erickson said.

She said she also expects that Northwoods’ upcoming “Jimmy Buffet Night” on March 10, incidentally featuring Jimmy Buffet music, will attract students.

Leinenkugel’s Brewery regularly brings in many students, said Dick Leinenkugel, vice president of sales and marketing. He emphasized that they always check IDs.

Visitors to the brewery can tour the facilities and get a chance to see how the beer is made, Leinenkugel said.

“Sixteen ounce drafts typically cost between $2.50 and $3,” Leinenkugel said.

Both of the brewery representatives said they employ students.

About 85 percent of the staff at Northwoods is comprised of college students, Staff Erickson said.

Senior Lucas Ley will have worked at Northwoods three years this April. He said he enjoys his job at Northwoods.

“(Northwoods) is a comfortable place,” he said.

It’s a good place for college students to hang out, although more-so for people who are 21 than those who are underage, because they can stay longer, Ley said.

“Personally I enjoy it a lot,” Ley said. “It’s an acquired taste. (Northwoods beer) has more flavor.”

Leinenkugel’s employs more students in the summer because some of the jobs are seasonal, Leinenkugel said. They also have hired former UW-Eau Claire business students and have an internship program.

Leinenkugel’s opened in 1867, and although it is now a subsidiary of Miller Brewing Co., the family still is involved in its management, marketing and sales, Leinenkugel said.

“I think that in addition to bringing great-tasting beers and good paying jobs to the area, we also bring a sense of responsibility,” Leinenkugel said. “Because lots of the employees are very involved in the community.”

Leinenkugel’s has also worked with Eau Claire to prevent underage drinking, he said. He stressed that underage drinking is something the company wants to eliminate.

People also can tour both breweries. Northwoods opened in November 1997 and has tours anytime with a manager, brewmaster Tim Kelly said. There also are bar and restaurant areas within Northwoods.

“It brings unique atmosphere and beer to the Eau Claire area,” Staff Erickson said.

Both breweries also sell and produce a variety of beers.

Northwoods has 14 different beers and three sodas, Kelly said.

“This is beer the way it used to be brewed,” he said. “It’s what our fathers and grandfathers used to drink.”

What sets Northwoods beer apart is flavor and freshness, he said.

“Our beer is never more than a month old, and it’s all natural,” Kelly said.

Northwoods’ upcoming seasonal beer is Irish Red for St. Patrick’s Day, Staff Erickson said.

Leinenkugel’s has seven year-round beers and three seasonal beers – its best selling beer is Honey Weiss, which has Wisconsin honey in it, Leinenkugel said.