Senior takes first

Molly Tumanic

Although not an official collegiate tournament, the seventh annual Eau Claire YMCA tennis tournament provided valuable practice for the Blugold men’s tennis team participants.

Senior Matt Widder took home a first place finish in first-seed singles play. Teammate senior Adam Arians said it was the first time a student won the singles tournament.

The tournament was open to any adult participants. Arians said players included students from Mankato (Minn.), some city teams and a couple of pros from the Twin Cities. He also said most Eau Claire players won their first round matches.

Widder won his championship match 4-6, 1-1 after his opponent sprained his ankle.

“Technically, I won the match,” Widder said. “I hit a backhand down the line and he was going the other direction, and his ankle rolled on him when he turned.”

Other Blugold singles players fared well in the tournament.

Arians, after receiving a first round bye, defeated teammate freshman Chris Baga 6-1, 6-7, 10-4 in a hard-fought match before falling to the eventual runner-up 6-2, 6-1 in the third round of play.

Roommates Arians and Widder took top place in first-seed doubles play, defeating their opponents 6-1, 6-2 in the final match. Arians attributed the win to good volleys.

“We were very good in our volleys and we took our time on them,” he said. “We weren’t trying to rush the shots.”

He also said the tournament provided good experience.

“It’s nice because we get different kinds of competition,” Arians said. “You get to play older, more experienced players, and it’s a different style.”

– Spectator staff