Swimmers split with Oshkosh

With the WIAC championships waiting for it in 10 days, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving team had its final dual meet of the year Saturday.

The men’s team won its final tune-up before the conference championships, beating UW-Oshkosh 158-108, while the women’s team lost to the Titans 167-113.

Senior Matt Oglesby, who won three events on Saturday, said the team still has a long way to go to be in top form.

“We didn’t swim very well as a team,” Oglesby said. “Oshkosh isn’t that good of a team. We swam poorly.”

Oglesby won the 100-yard butterfly by nearly five seconds and took the 200 backstroke by 14 seconds.

Oglesby also won the 400 individual medley, finishing 22 seconds ahead of sophomore teammate John Welch. Oglesby’s time of four minutes, 21.85 seconds was 15 seconds faster than any time for Eau Claire this season.

Welch finished second in the 500 freestyle and the 400 individual medley.

Senior Chris Smith also finished second in two events, losing to Oshkosh’s Mike Moran in both the 100 breaststroke and the 200 breaststroke.

The men claimed the top three spots in the 400 IM as well as finishing first and second in the 200 backstroke and the 1000 freestyle.

Sophomore Meghan McDonald was one of three Blugolds to win an event for the women, taking first in the 50 freestyle with her season-best time of 25.62.

Senior Liz Halbur won the 100 freestyle in a season-best 56.32, and sophomore Jill Wendorff reached her season-best time in winning the 500 freestyle.

The women had the top three finishers in the 50 freestyle, with Halbur and sophomore Krista DeJarlais finishing behind McDonald.

McDonald said the women’s team was excited about the upcoming conference meet.

“Over the past couple of meets, we’ve really stepped up,” she said. “Everyone has really turned it up, and we’re swimming better.”

While McDonald said the women didn’t set any specific goals for the conference meet, Oglesby said the men’s team expects to finish second.

The WIAC championships will be held Feb. 21-23 and will be hosted by UW-Whitewater.