UWEC women’s gymnastics win first meet of the season

Melanie Walleser

More stories from Melanie Walleser

UWEC women’s gymnastics team defeats Gustavus Adolphus College

+Claire+Lorbiecki%2C+a+fourth-year+gymnast%2C+performs+her+beam+routine.+

Claire Lorbiecki, a fourth-year gymnast, performs her beam routine.

Photo by Melanie Walleser

Photo by Melanie Walleser

Photo by Melanie Walleser

The UW-Eau Claire women’s gymnastics team won their first meet of the season this weekend. The Blugolds triumphed over Gustavus Adolphus College on Feb. 9 at the McPhee Strength and Performance Center, winning by a score of 185.100 to 183.825.

With a score of 45.325 to 44.600 the Blugolds defeated the Gusties on the uneven parallel bars. Gustavus prevailed on vault, their score tallied at 46.850 with the Blugolds at 46.825. The Blugolds rallied on beam, however, winning the event 46.025 to 44.825. Scoring 47.000, Gustavus took the floor exercise from the Blugolds, who scored 46.925.

“This was our best beam outing, they did awesome,” Head Coach Danielle Schulzetenberg said. “Way better team beam, and floor was just so much fun.”

The Blugolds showed their domination of beam by taking the top three spots of the meet. Clare Mascia, a fourth-year gymnast, earned first place with a score of 9.650. Securing beam for the Blugolds was Hannah Lewis, a fourth-year gymnast, and Tayla Thome, a first-year gymnast, both with a score of 9.300.

On vault, Victoria Perron, a second-year gymnast, took first place with a score of 9.600. Her score is tied with fifth all-time for the program. Fellow Blugold, Ashley Benes, a second-year gymnast, placed second with a 9.500 tally.

Megan Fayler, a third-year gymnast, took second on the uneven parallel bars, scoring 9.475. Placing second in floor exercise was Kiya Bjorge, a fourth-year gymnast. Her score tallied to 9.600.

Overall, the final tally of the meet led to the Blugolds defeating the Gusties 185.100 to 183.825.

Schulzetenberg  attributed the Blugolds’ victory on Saturday to the team’s winning attitude, and the relaxed environment made for the perfect recipe of success.

“This team doesn’t give up, they don’t stop fighting and that’s what it’s going to take come the end of the season,” Schulzetenberg said. “I’m just so proud of them, I’m just so happy. They don’t give up they go and fight.”

“Everybody was just super relaxed and everybody was just hitting their routines,” Mascia said. “It was a lot more of a relaxed environment, the home meets are always a lot more fun.”

The Blugolds showed true excitement and support for their team during the meet. Loud cheers and festive celebrations echoed through McPhee.

“We just started celebrating the little victories,” Schulzetenberg said.

“We just knew that we were gonna go out there and we were gonna hit it,” Amelia Moorehouse, a fourth-year gymnast, said. “We’re hoping to keep building from here.”

The Blugolds plan to keep up the fight this season all the way to nationals.

“Of course everyone wants to make it to nationals, of course we want to place in the top three, but I just really want them to enjoy the process and learn to enjoy the process because life’s a journey,” Schulzetenberg said.

The Blugolds will be back in action during their next meet at 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 15 at Hamline University.

Walleser can be reached at [email protected]

Melanie Walleser, Staff Writer

Melanie Walleser is a first-year journalism and english student. This is her first semester at The Spectator and she's very excited about it. Melanie's hobbies include reading, writing and taking pictures of her adorable puppies.