Men’s hockey ties 3-3 with Marian University Sabres on Saturday night

Katrina Erskine

More stories from Katrina Erskine

The game went into overtime but neither team pulled ahead

Zach Kennedy and Simon Saggisor smile on the line before the start the of the game.

Shane Opatz

Shane Opatz

Shane Opatz

The Blugolds men’s hockey team took on Marian University last Saturday night. There were 887 people at the game, which ended in a 3-3 tie.  

Head Coach Matt Loen said that one or two plays in a game can be the tie breaker necessary for a win.

“You want to put a good product on the ice, but you also want to have a competitive game,” Loen told the Blugold Winter Radio Show. “Unfortunately there’s no easy games anymore.”

Blugold first-years recorded the first points on the scoreboard. Nathan Dingmann scored the first goal. He was assisted by Steen Cooper and Lucas Kohls.

The Blugolds lead for a few seconds, then Marians player Yuri Chernichko, a first-year, was able to tie the game to 1-1. Players from both teams served time in the penalty during the period.  

At the start of the second period, Kohls added another point for the Blugolds with an assist from Dingmann.

Neither team found the back of the net until the 8:12 mark. Blugold Kyle Froese, a second-year, gave UW-Eau Claire a two-point lead over Marian.

Marian answered back about a minute later. Nick Monfils, a fourth-year, scored at the 9:23 mark. Going into the third period, Marian trailed the Blugolds by one goal.

The third period was scoreless until Marian scored at the 11:32 mark. Conner Blanck, a third-year for Marian, was responsible for the goal against the Blugolds.

At the end of the third period the teams were tied at 3-3. The game entered overtime.

Both teams were unable to put the puck in the back of the net and the score remained 3-3 to finish the game. Eau Claire finished the game with 34 shots on the goal while the Marian had 29 shots.

Though winter break is fast approaching Loen said he wants his team to continue working hard.

“Obviously, we’ve had a pretty good start,” Loen said during the radio show. “We want to finish strong, it’s always been our motto.”

Kohls said he is excited to have a break for the holidays.

“It’s a good, needed break for everybody,” Kohls said during the radio show. “It’s good to see your family and get home for the holidays.”

Erskine can be reached at [email protected].

Katrina Erskine, Staff Writer

Katrina Erskine attended NDSU her first year and now attends UWEC. Katrina's major is English Education. She enjoys being active and having a good burrito.