More than a pose

Yoga: connecting mind, body and soul
Photo by Submitted

Don’t do drugs, kids! I’ve got something much better for you, and it’s called the “yoga high.” I can attest that it is indeed legit and a much more rewarding alternative.

Before coming to UW-Eau Claire, I definitely did not consider myself a yoga girl. It always seemed a little silly to me, and I never believed that the so-called “benefits” were actually real. I mean, how could something named the “downward dog” be taken seriously?

Despite my biased opinions, I decided to try out the group yoga sessions being offered at the Hilltop Recreation Center just for something new to do. It was the first week of school, so as a first-year student, naturally, I was a bit nervous. 

I successfully persuaded a couple of friends to come along with me, which made the new experience easier to conquer. My biggest fear was falling on my face or discovering that I was a little more out of shape than I previously thought.

When I first stepped into Hilltop Studio, I could immediately feel the warm, inviting and calming energy of the space. It was dark, illuminated only by a string of yellow fairy lights. People were quietly choosing their spots and getting settled onto the mats. 

I took my place in the very back of the room, still a bit self-conscious. My friends, seated on either side of me, gave each other hesitant smiles. Soft, serene music started to play as the session began.

Beginning criss-cross applesauce, we slowly transitioned from pose to pose. Focusing on your breathing is essential, and you must pair it with each movement. Every placement of the hand and angle of the limb is completely intentional.

We ended the session by simply laying on our backs, eyes closed, every muscle relaxed. I didn’t realize how rigid I was until I purposely focused on each area of my body and released any tension. I laid there reflecting on life, feeling all philosophical and whatever.

The pivotal moment was when we eventually returned to our initial seated position, repeated “namaste,” and gently opened our eyes. The “yoga high” had hit. Somehow I felt significantly lighter and more alive, as if I was walking on a cloud.

The awareness of being more connected to your mind, body and soul is like no other. It’s a feeling that stays with you long after you leave the mat. As I continue to go to sessions more regularly, I can’t help but notice how my daily anxiety lessens each time.

The benefits of yoga extend beyond the spiritual, mental and emotional ones. There are numerous physical benefits, such as an increase in flexibility, strength and stamina. It can also help with muscle pain relief, as well as your heart health.

We are all excessively busy college students, and I definitely understand that it’s hard to find time in the day to add more activities. Still, consider yoga. If you struggle with anxiety like I do, you may find it to be extremely worthwhile. Namaste.

Matczak can be reached at [email protected].