Unlearn Everything

What’s wrong with the men?
Unlearn+Everything
Photo by Marisa Valdez

Content warning: This story contains mentions of physical assault and suicide.

There’s always been a lot of online discussion about the societal tension between men and women. To me, it is blatantly obvious that so many men just downright hate women.

This is all because the internet gave popularity to a bald, rat-faced dental nightmare who convinced every man that they should start a podcast. 

When Rho Bashe got hit in the face with a brick for not giving a man her number, an overwhelming number of men ran to the comment section with requests for a background story.

Did she not just tell the whole world what happened? 

The men then decided to take to the internet to advocate for Rho’s assaulter; some even accused her of being a scammer who injected saline in her face to fake injury.

These are the same bottom feeders who say “not all men.”

These men are showing themselves mocking this woman like they all secretly wish they were the ones who could have hit her. 

If you’ve read Unlearn Everything before, congrats. Don’t be surprised that I’m here to complain about the patriarchy. 

If you’re new here just know that if the shoe fits, please don’t hesitate to lace that sucker up and wear it.

That is all simply because this is Unlearn Everything, and if I’m not ruffling feathers, I’m complaining about a celebrity. 

Howdy.

Anyway, I was inspired to speak on this because of two things: the brick incident (obviously) and my friend’s dumpster fire of a baby daddy. 

Let’s call this man Tyler.

I went to visit one of my longtime friends over the summer who just had a baby. There was no wifi or cell service at their place so there wasn’t much going on except doing chores and observing. 

From the moment I saw my friend, I knew she was tired, lonely and resentful. We weren’t even together for all of 20  minutes before her child’s father started slipping up.

While we packed the stroller and the baby into the car, Tyler sat in the passenger on his phone. My friend asked Tyler to set up a bath for their child when we got home. 

His response varied along the lines of an apathetic, “Gee I don’t know, that seems difficult.”

What grown man doesn’t know how to take a small tub and fill it with warm water and some toys? 

I mean, the man has been a father for almost six months, and he still doesn’t know how to soothe his own kid, or even put the kid to bed.

While I was there, they only had one car in commission, so Tyler drove the car around with his little friends and trashed the whole thing with food.

The man had been asked to clean it for weeks, even when there were flies and maggots creating a city on the moldy cheese pizza in the passenger seat. 

The last time she asked him to clean it, he exploded at her and their engagement almost ended–she would have been better off.

My friend had admitted that she didn’t trust her fiance to be alone with their baby due to his “incompetence.”

The term “weaponized incompetence” has made its way into the mainstream discussion on the internet.

It started off as a way to call attention to the imbalance of emotional and domestic labor being performed by men in heterosexual relationships. 

In my opinion, writing off men as stupid strips oneself of protection. 

Just because most men are coddled by their mother dearest, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t know how to load a dishwasher. 

It’s the same thing as saying “boys will be boys” as a means to excuse a man’s predatory behavior. 

Men are not animals with uncontrollable urges. If that’s the logic we’re going with, why are they allowed to go to school or be CEO’s?

Rapper’s Bas and J.Cole released a song over the summer called “Passport Bros,” and it’s a take on the negative connotation behind the trending use of the term amongst men.

Essentially, the concept of ‘passport bros’ comes from men being fed up with American women’s ‘high standards.’

The brotherhood of the passports remains delusional enough to think they have a shot at marrying a foreign woman, yet a date at Red Lobster seems too financially steep for these particular broskis. 

American women just want to be treated with respect, and that makes these men flee the country. 

There’s been an additional uptick in discussions surrounding a “male loneliness epidemic,” but I’m not here to validate that. 

I understand that the experience of life as a man comes with a lot of loneliness due to the societal expectations placed upon them.

Yet, we’re living in a patriarchal society where white men are at the center. 

In 2021, almost 70%  of American suicides were committed by white men. 

Who would have thought there would be some correlation between some men’s mental health and needing power over women? 

Ftouhi can be reached at [email protected]