US Fulbright Scholarship open for 2025-26 school year

UWEC is a top-producing institution
Photo by Mady Leick
Anna Dresnack presents the benefits of the Fulbright Scholarship.

The Fulbright Scholarship is an opportunity that opened for UW-Eau Claire students on April 2. In a nationwide program, a Fulbright scholar goes to one of 129 Countries, with the option to either teach English or participate in research. 

The Fulbright offers programs in every region in the world, and is open to students of all majors, though most require some level of the language spoken in the country. 

The Center for International Education (CIE), alongside the Univeristy Honors Program, hosted an information meeting on Wednesday, March 27. Anna Dresnack, Fulbright Program advisor and Study Abroad manager, led the evening.

“The Fulbright is one of the most prestigious awards in the country. It’s sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and at its core is an international exchange program,” Dresnack said. “It’s intended for U.S. citizens to go to another country and kind of act as cultural ambassadors.”

Students typically apply in the spring of their junior year, with the deadline this year due Sept. 10. From the initial application, there are several steps required beyond, and if chosen, applicants fly out following their graduation, with the Fullbright being 9-12 months. 

The Fulbright works directly with institutions, and students are provided advisors, like Dresnack. When applying students must pick the single nation they would like to visit, instead of applying to all opportunities. Applicants will then need several letters of recommendation, and will write a personal statement. 

UW-Eau Claire is a top-producing institution and has been for the past several years. 

“It’s amazing, nobody would ever think a smaller undergraduate Midwest school [could accomplish this]. There’s lots of guidance and you know people care so deeply about the students here who want you to be successful,” said Kim Wellnitz, Honors Program assistant director.

Study Abroad and International Education are key practices at UW-Eau Claire, with CIE focusing on all abroad opportunities, including non-traditional ones, like the Fulbright. 

I think it comes back to kind of this culture we have on campus of faculty and students and just everyone who is very passionate about getting students more involved with international opportunities,” Dresnack said. 

Heather Fielding, director of the Honors Program, went on the Fulbright to Ukraine for to teach English to students while living there. 

“It was life-changing in every possible way. It was challenging, but it was fascinating and you’re learning every minute while you’re there,” Fielding said.

Following her experience in Ukraine, Fielding has gone on to create an honors class, Understanding Contemporary Ukraine.

“It changed the course of my research, which focuses on Ukraine, and it has brought a ton of meaning to my life to be able to support Ukrainians in this time when they’re under attack,” Fielding said.

There is another Fulbright information session at 3 p.m. on April 12 in the Mcintyre Library

Leick can be reached at l[email protected].