Senate supports clean energy initiative on campus

Hoffman discussed plans for an increase to online course fees

The Student Senate met at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 12 in the Dakota Ballroom of Davies Student Center. A notable absence was President Brett Farmer, as he was away at a swimming conference. 

Mary Hoffman, interim associate vice chancellor for academic affairs, started off the meeting with a presentation on a change to the online course fees. Hoffman said the plan is to adjust fees to $50 per credit across all four colleges at UW-Eau Claire. 

Currently, the rate is $10 per credit for the colleges of Arts and Sciences, Education and Human Sciences, and Nursing and Health Sciences. The exception is The College of Business, which currently charges $175 per credit. 

Mary Hoffman describes the changes to online education.

The change in fee will allow the university to put more resources into the online services provided. At this time there are no tutoring services or supplemental instruction available in the online setting. With the increased fee, there will be a $1.16 million increase in funds. These changes are set to take place fall 2024.

This increase would lead UW-Eau Claire to be equal with nearly all other universities within the UW system.

Student Office of Sustainability Senate Director Sydney McGuine introduced resolution 67-R-9. This legislation supports a project that would implement geothermal energy in Haas Fine Arts Center and the Human Sciences and Services building on North Campus. 

Members of the senate showed their support for the move. Senator Matthew Lehner discussed the significance of green energy, and how important it is to pass legislation to control the carbon footprint of the university.

This is the first step, as there was discussion to continue the project into the rest of campus. The bill passed unanimously, 31-0-1. 

“Student Senate and [the] Student Office of Sustainability have the university’s best interest in mind when it comes to grants like these,” Student Body Vice President Sam Consiglio said. “Even though it is something that’s not guaranteed, at least we know that there’s support for making our campus more sustainable in the future.” 

The senate voted for the replacement director and representatives for the Health and Wellness Committee. Senators Kaitlyn Hevrin and Avery De-Rutyer were named as chairs and Senate Personnel Director Lily Eisele resigned from the committee. In a secret vote, senators Madi Shafmann and Jonathan Hull were appointed. 

University Activities Director Zach Jacobson and Intergovernmental Affairs Director Mei Bean were nominated, but no vote occurred, as Jacobson was not present. There will be a vote next week for the replacement nominee. 

The senate adjourned at 7:15 p.m. The next meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 19. in the Woodland Theatre of Davies.

Leick can be reached at [email protected]