Senate discusses with County Board representative

SOS funds bird garden on campus

The Student Senate met at 6:02 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 4. It was a full house with lots of action and important information, with only two meetings left in the semester. 

The evening began with a presentation from Jim Dunning, the District 18 representative from the Eau Claire County Board. He discussed the functions of his role and what the County Board offers. Dunning discussed the budget of $160 million and how the revenue is collected.

The Eau Claire City-County Health Department, Human Services and the Sheriff’s Office account for the main expenses for the county.Dunning then discussed a project that would put a railroad stop in Eau Claire. The plan is still in the early phase. 

Dunning also discussed the push by the county to increase the number of electric vehicles on the road. The county currently has three electric vehicle chargers in the courthouse parking lot, available to the public.

Next, a discussion of artificial intelligence took place. Academic Affairs Director Colin Rafter discussed the new initiatives the university is taking regarding AI in his report. Rafter had been in discussion with the administration about the policies regarding AI. 

President Brett Farmer said it is of great importance to address AI at the university level. 

“Colin (Rafter) and Drew (Morehouse) kind of took this on themselves. They felt like it was something really exciting. And I think it’s just, it’s growing so rapidly, some professors are just almost afraid of it. So yeah, I think they’re just really harnessing this,” Farmer said.

Next, the senate moved into a bill 67-B-4 introduced by Student Office of Sustainability Director Sydney McGuine. 

The bill would create a new Wild Kingdom Bird Garden outside of Davies Student Center, right next to The Cabin. In addition to the floral arrangement, there will be decals on the windows to prevent birds from hitting the windows. 

“That’s something else that I really like about SOS, it touches every different aspect, which is really cool to see that come to life,” Consiglio.

The bill will be up for a vote at the next meeting.

The final event of the evening was an update on the bill passed concerning allergens in Blugold Dining. Senator Katelyn Hevrin said she had been in contact with those in Blugold Dining and had already seen improvements. Every dining location on campus, other than Einstein Bros. Bagels, has agreed to become more allergen friendly.

“One little project that you have passion about and you pursue can snowball into this huge, this bigger thing that affects a lot of students on campus and helps them out,” Consiglio said. 

The senate adjourned at 7:16 p.m. Their next and final meeting for the semester will be at 6 p.m. on Dec. 11  in the Dakota Ballroom in Davies.

Leick can be reached at l[email protected].