Random 911 call, flat tires and yet another elevator incident
Police+Blotter

Broken-down elevator at Chancellors Hall

At around 8:16 p.m. on Oct. 20, a UW-Eau Claire police officer was dispatched to Chancellors Hall in regard to a stuck elevator reported by one of the resident assistants.

Upon arrival, the officer made contact with the RA in the main lobby of Chancellors, and they advised the officer that elevator car No. 2 was “not working properly” and unable to move from the basement floor. 

The RA also mentioned that nobody was stuck in the elevator to their knowledge.

The officer advised the RA that they would be shutting off power to elevator car No. 2 for the evening.

The officer traveled down to the basement of the dorm building and confirmed it was sitting on the basement level. They observed the doors to the elevator were in the closed position. They pressed the button to call the elevator to see if the doors would open but nothing happened.

The officer proceeded to knock on the doors of the elevator and asked if anyone was inside. They did not receive a response.

The functionality of elevator car No. 1 was normal, according to the officer’s observation. The power was left on for elevator No. 1 while it was shut off for No. 2.

The officer notified on-call Hall Director Andrew Bonlender of the issue.

Random 911 emergency phone activation

At around 10 p.m. on Oct. 20, a 911 emergency phone was activated on the intersection of 1st Avenue and Water Street. The Communications Center advised there was an open line and nothing of note was shown on the public space camera covering a portion of the area.

An officer arrived on the scene and did not observe anyone in need of police or emergency medical assistance.

Another officer came on scene to conduct a foot patrol in the area surrounding the Emergency Phone and within Haas Fine Arts Center. They did not locate any emergency and cleared the area shortly after.

Employee reports flat tires on her vehicle

An officer was dispatched at around 11:25 p.m. on Oct. 22 to check a vehicle call in the Murray Hall parking lot. A UW-Eau Claire employee called the squad duty phone and reported that she had several flat tires on her vehicle. She stated she could possibly be a victim of vandalism.

The employee’s vehicle was parked in the entrance to the Murray lot with its lights on when the officer arrived on scene. 

The officer observed that both driver’s side tires were completely flat. They closely inspected the tires and did not observe any visible damage to the tires; the caps were still on both tires’ air nozzles.

The employee stated she worked and parked her vehicle in the southeast area of the parking lot around 11 a.m. She returned to her vehicle around 10:30 p.m. and noticed the flat tires after she drove through the lot.

She stated she recently purchased the vehicle and did not believe she hit or ran over anything that could cause the tires to deflate.

The officer did not find any evidence of vandalism made towards the vehicle. They handed her a business card and asked her to contact them if the mechanics found any evidence that the tires were intentionally damaged.

The officer stayed on scene while the employee contacted a local tow truck company. The tow truck arrived shortly after and removed the vehicle.

Mysterious damage done to control arm gate

An officer received a call at around 8:30 a.m. on Oct. 24 regarding damage to the control arm gate located at the top of Garfield Hill Avenue.

UW-Eau Claire’s parking supervisor, the one who made the call, advised that she was unaware of how or what had caused the damage that occurred, but assumed a vehicle had struck it.

Upon arrival at the top of the hill, the officer observed that the control arm had a minor amount of damage. They also observed that UW-Eau Claire’s Facility Management had already replaced the shear pins and were in the process of replacing a section of the damaged gate.

Prior to the call, the officer noted that he observed the control arm gate previously at around 8 a.m. that same morning. The gate was functioning properly and had not been damaged.

It is unknown what had struck the control arm at this time.

Davidsaver can be reached at [email protected].