Potential fire, broken-down elevator and noise complaints
Police+Blotter

Fire Trucks report to Towers Hall South

An officer was dispatched at 11:14 a.m. on Sept. 21 to Towers Hall South in response to a resident concerned about the smell of burnt hair in their dorm. The resident also noted one of their outlets was “hot to the touch.”

Two fire trucks were on their way to the location as well, along with a sergeant. When the officer arrived and spoke to the resident, they noticed no smoke in the room but did notice the burning smell and felt the outlet to gauge how hot it was. 

The resident re-explained the issues they reported earlier and mentioned this had been going on since the day before at 9:30 p.m., and hadn’t plugged anything in the next morning. Soon, the Eau Claire Fire Department arrived to assess the situation. 

The sergeant advised the officer that UW-Eau Claire’s Facilities were alerted of the issue and had connected an electrician to help alleviate the problem. The officer said they informed the resident and the fire department of this information.

Residents get stuck in the elevator in The Suites

An officer was dispatched at 1:19 p.m. on Sept. 24 to The Suites to respond to a report of a stopped elevator and soon received a call from the hall director stating that two residents were stuck inside. 

When they arrived, the officer was able to shut off the power to the elevator. This allowed them to open the doors to the elevator and help the residents safely exit. 

The residents declined medical treatment and the elevator remained powered off until repairs could be made. The officer stayed to answer questions before they left.

Noise complaints received on music at Bollinger Field

An officer was dispatched at 7:13 p.m. on Sept. 21 to Bollinger Field in response to complaints of loud music coming from the field. 

The Communication Center reported that a resident living nearby complained that they may have to move if the issue continued since they had complained of the same issue the previous night. The officer then decided to get in contact with the resident via phone call. 

Once on the phone, the officer introduced themself and the resident reported they were concerned with the loud music coming from soccer games held on the field. 

The resident was using several noise-canceling machines and had their windows shut, which she said had not helped the issue. She said she was still able to hear the loud bass inside her apartment. 

Over the years, the music had been a consistent issue and the night prior the resident had to send her son over to the field to ask them to lower the music’s volume. 

The resident also reported that many elderly residents live in the area and that she has considered reporting the noise to the Eau Claire Police Department since has had to ask them to turn down the music herself many times. 

The officer proceeded to inform the resident that soccer teams at the field are allowed to play music at a specific volume at certain times of the day. However, the officer said they would request the teams turn the music down and check that it wasn’t too loud. 

The resident was very frustrated but the officer reassured them that they would also get in contact with the UW-Eau Claire Athletics Department and then ended the phone call. 

When the officer went to the field they noticed many sports teams were using the area and playing their music, and requested the themes turn their volume down. The teams were compliant and turned their music down without complaint.

Liz Curtin can be contacted at [email protected].