Student to serve on honors society council

Sophomore Caitlin Daley was speechless when she heard the news that she was selected among applicants from across the nation to serve as a student member-at-large on the national council of Alpha Lamda Delta Honor Society.

Daley
Daley

What began as a whim in her mind while attending the ALD leadership conference this past October was followed by a definite call to submit an application in mid-December.

“I really enjoyed the conference, and I wanted to apply for the position,” she said.

The new year got much brighter for Daley the first week of the spring semester after she received a call from Glenda Earwood, executive director of ALD, informing her that she had been chosen for the position.

Seven professional and three student members serve as the governing board of the council.

First-year students holding a GPA of 3.5 or higher who stay within the top 20 percent of their class are eligible to join, according to the ALD website.

Daley said as a freshman she was accepted into the organization and shortly after applied for the executive board.  This provided her with many opportunities to expand her professional experience within the organization.  She is currently holding the position of vice president.

“I came into college with the attitude to try new things,” she said. “So far it has been successful.”

Dean of Students and former council member Brian Carlisle was a huge support during her experience with ALD. Daley said he shared her excitement while encouraging her wholeheartedly.

“I knew all too well the value in serving in such a difficult, yet rewarding position,” Carlisle said. “Caitlin was the perfect choice for the national office. She is a devoted scholar, and her tireless commitment to the UW-Eau Claire chapter of ALD is unparalleled.”

Daley is a double major in organizational communication and Spanish who will graduate in the spring of 2015. She said her experiences at Eau Claire and with ALD will hopefully help in her pursuit of a career in Project Management or Change
Management.

Carlisle said that Daley’s three-year term responsibilities will include installing new chapters, presenting national awards on behalf of the ALD national office, and presenting training sessions at the annual national leadership workshop.

“Her mere presence will ensure visibility for our institution,” he said.

The ALD Eau Claire chapter president Meghan Hanson said on behalf of the executive board they are proud of her accomplishment.

“It is no doubt they chose a great student,” she said.

In June, Daley will present on the status of the UW-Eau Claire chapter at the ALD annual conference in San Francisco.

As she represents Eau Claire, Daley said that one of the values she will take with her is excellence.

“For all Blugolds, excellence is not just a motto, it is a way of life,” she said. “I hope to share this with the ALD community throughout the nation.”