Trying to get some beer in here

The Cabin began selling beer and wine to those of age on Oct. 12, but the planning process took longer than students and organizers expected.

Leinenkugel’s products and various wines will be sold by The Cabin’s workers between 4:30 and 9:30 p.m. on weekdays. On Saturdays, sales will go from 7 to 9 p.m., according to Lauren Bryant, cabin co-chair for the University and Activities
Commission.

She also said the reason for delay in selling alcoholic beverages was due to the logistics of the space.

“I think it just took a while to decide what the logistics would be; how they’re going to monitor how many drinks people could purchase from the bar and wristbands,” Bryant said.

Drinks will only be served to those student who have had their IDs checked. They will then be given a wristband to wear while at The Cabin, which will be the indication for bartenders to serve them.

Coordinator of Student Activities Nicole Rindone said the reason it took longer than originally planned to distribute beer and wine was that planning needed more time.

“All the different venues that people could bring alcohol out to, I don’t think were taken into consideration until we really could see the space,” Rindone said.

She said the plans that are currently in place are within a trial period and that the layout and rules they have now could change later if issues were to arise. However, they are happy with the set-up for the time being.

Usher Corps is an organization within the university. Workers are hired for various reasons, including duties like checking IDs and providing security, if the need arises. These student workers will be on the second floor watching students for various discrepancies, such as supplying alcohol to those underage or even trying to take a drink outside of The Cabin, which Bryant said is prohibited.

Junior Tara Wagner is now in her second semester with Usher Corps and is one of the student workers assigned to oversee those purchasing alcohol.

“My duty is to watch over the second floor because it’s hard for the people who are below to watch over everyone,” she said. “And I make sure that under-agers aren’t drinking, and by doing that I make sure  everyone who is drinking has a wristlet andthe wristlets change colors depending on the day.”

Blugold Dining is not only making changes with beverages, but is now offering appetizers, including jalapeño poppers and mac ‘n cheese bites.

Bryant said the inclusion of snacks and an adult drink may, she hopes, help bring in some older students for the concerts hosted at the Davies Center.

“One thing about having alcohol being served in The Cabin — maybe we’ll reach out more to upperclassmen,” Bryant said. “Because we do get a lot of underclassmen to come to our shows, but we find that with upperclassmen they can go to The Mousetrap or The House of Rock for music and they’re able to drink there. So it kind of gives them another option to be on campus.”

Despite the arrangement being put in place, Rindone said there are still issues being raised throughout the campus, but they are simply doing their best to prevent problems with the student body.