Police blotter: Nov. 17, 2011

Without a trace

Tuesday, Nov. 8

At 8:45 a.m., a UW-Eau Claire student reported to Eau Claire police that her bike was stolen sometime between the mornings of Nov. 4 and Nov. 7 from the bike racks in front of Hibbard Hall. The bike was secured by a cable combination bike lock, which was also missing.

The student was able to describe her bike and other information, but the bike was not found.

Only you can prevent forest fires

Saturday, Nov. 12

A UW-Eau Claire police officer saw three males walk into Putnam Park at 7:11 p.m. After entering the park about two minutes later, the officer went down the trail and spotted the males on an overlook platform, smoking and then passing an object to one another.

When the officer identified himself and talked to the men, he noticed that the trio had blood shot eyes. When asked about the object, one of the men said that they had shared a cigar and he had thrown it in the woods after finishing it. All three men denied that the cigar was marijuana.

After a second officer arrived, the officer asked if he could search the men, and all three agreed. The officers did not find anything of interest. The officer also pointed out to the group that he had last seen one of the other men with the object and asked where he put it. The second man said he dropped it under the platform and the first man could not explain why he said he had thrown it.

The officer was unable to find the object and warned the men about throwing a lit object on dry leaves and pine needles before they were free to go.