MyBlugold software set to change

Class registration for fall semester 2010 is about to change with the introduction of a new software program.

A project that started about three years ago is coming to fruition as Learning Technology Services and the Registrar office work together to implement a new registration software.

Oracle’s PeopleSoft Campus Solutions software or CampS, is a similar program used on other UW campuses.

Assistant Project Manager of Campus Solutions Implementation Bev Miller said the traditional system was created at Eau Claire, but even though it fit, it didn’t make much sense to anyone coming in.

“There was a big push from the UW System to use this software,” she said. “There is a lot of combined support with other UW schools, and by using CampS here, if you took classes at another campus it (the program) would look similar.”

CampS is a subset of the MyBlugold system, and Miller said eventually many links in MyBlugold will be absorbed by the new system.

“Many people have already used it (CampS) if they have changed any personal information in MyBlugold,” she said. “But things like admissions, financial aid, student financials and student records will be replaced by CampS, along with anything else that has a gold star next to it in MyBlugold.”

Currently, students’ academic records and registration through Summer 2010 will still be in MyBlugold, but any activities involving Fall 2010 classes will be in the new MyBlugold CampS system. Miller said services like requesting a new degree audit take time and will not have Fall 2010 classes for a few months.

LTS recently sent out e-mails to students inviting them to learn the new system by going through the online tutorial. Miller said in order to ease the transition, LTS has been holding training sessions for staff members, discussed it with Student Senate, gave information to resident assistants in the dorms and will send out more e-mails as registration draws nearer.

Registrar Susan Moore said although the new program is a change, there are a number of good aspects to look forward to.

“The shopping cart option is a good tool because it allows the students to plan in advance,” she said. “You can fill your cart in advance, and that way when it’s time for them (students) to register, all their classes are right there.”

Moore said there is also a new swap option that makes dropping and adding classes much easier.

“It is a very intuitive system,” she said. “The beauty of swapping is that it won’t drop you from your old class if you can’t get into the new one, and you can keep classes in your shopping cart so you can come back later without searching for it.”

Moore said she realizes the new software may be frustrating at first for students who are used to the old way of registering but encourages people to follow the steps.

“The important thing is just getting used to the system and knowing it is a three-step process,” she said. “When you put the classes in your cart, you haven’t reserved them, so you have to go through all the steps to make sure you get the classes.”

Junior Toni Dziedzic said she really liked the other system and thinks the new one will be a little tricky to get used to at first.

“I’m sure it will be like any other change; it might be hard to get used to at first, but it will probably catch on,” she said. “It might be kind of annoying to upperclassman like me who have been using the other way for so long, but I don’t think it will be hard for people like incoming freshmen to pick up.”

Miller said they are still finalizing the program, working on any potential problems, and will begin to open it up more for student use within the next few weeks.

“In anything like this, it’s almost like you have to take two steps back to go one step forward,” she said, “but we were constrained in the modifications we could make on the other system, and this software company is continuously enhancing the system, which will help us do more later on.”