Vice chancellor position search commencing

One of the four possible candidates for the vacant Vice Chancellor of Administration, Finance and Facilities position held forums Thursday and Friday, highlighting the responsibilities of the new position as well as some foreseen challenges.

The search and screen committee, led by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Don Christian, is in the final stages of the process reviewing the possible candidates, which began with application reviews and video conferences to narrow the search down to the selected four, Christian said.

Candidate Nathaniel Jones III, chief financial and administrative officer for the William Jewett Tucker Foundation at Dartmouth College (N.H.), believes one of the largest issues facing the new vice chancellor will be finding an efficient way to counter the steep reduction of state funding to the university, while keeping the university’s performance high.

“In order to find the best solution,” Jones said at his forum Thursday, “you need to bring everyone’s ideas together to collaborate. My ideas may not always be the best for every issue.”

When it comes to funding, he said he plans to reduce expenses and more appropriately align resources.

Other possible candidates, including administrator for the department of family medicine at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health David Dadds, have already led forums on Nov. 10 and 11. These forums are the last stage of the selection process, which will end with a recommendation from the committee to the Chancellor, who will make the final decision, Christian said. Audience members also have the opportunity to give feedback on candidates, using an online form, which will provide the Chancellor with the perspectives of a wider audience, he said.

The new vice chancellor will be in charge of overseeing the university’s budget and will be a key liaison between the Board of Regents and the UW System, according to the job description. This person will also provide leadership and coordination for business services, facilities management, facilities planning, financial aid, human resources, institutional research, internal audit, loss prevention and safety, parking services, and the University Police, according to the description.

These duties were previously overseen by the Vice Chancellor for Business and Student Services, though the position has been redefined with new responsibilities into the two positions of Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs and the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Finance, and Facilities, in order to provide more focus to each area, Christian said.

The new vice chancellor will have many opportunities in the upcoming years, including the planning and reconstruction of Davies Center and the construction of a new academic building. But he or she will also have to face several challenges.

The other two candidates, university business manager for the University of Iowa George Hollins and assistant professor of finance and accounting at Concordia College Greg Garber, will also hold upcoming forums. Hollins will speak today from 2 to 3 p.m. and from 10 to 11 a.m. Nov. 18 in Davies Theater. Garber is to speak from 2 to 3 p.m., Dec. 1, and from 10 to 11 a.m., Dec. 2, in Davies Theater.