Dining services attempts to break record

The UW-Eau Claire campus dining services and Sodexho, along with 600 other Sodexho campus-dining units across the United States, will attempt to make it into the Guinness Book of World Records by receiving the most canned food donations during a 24-hour period.

Sponsored by Blugold Dining and as an initiative of the non-profit Sodexo Foundation; students, faculty and staff are invited to participate in the Cans Across America event, which takes place on Nov. 12.

The goal of this event is to help fight hunger and food collected will be donated to charities and shelters within the community where it has been collected.

All the food items received on the Eau Claire campus will help senior citizens, single parents, the working poor, the homeless, the mentally ill and others in need throughout the Chippewa Valley, according to a university press release.

Freshman Rachel Mickelson believes it is a great event that students definitely should participate in.

“We are members of the community,” she said. “It is important to help each other out when we can. If everyone makes an effort, it will make a huge difference.”

Eau Claire collected 3,520 pounds of food last year and the goal this year is to collect 6,000 pounds of food. It will be the third year that the university has participated.

Paula Ristow, retail manager of the Eau Claire Sodexho Campus Services, said all the food donated will be given to the Feed My People Food Bank in Eau Claire. Ristow feels students should take the initiative to participate in the event.

“This goes to a good cause and there are people that need way more than us,” Ristow said.

All Eau Claire organizations, groups and departments can register to make a group donation. A free pizza party will be given to the student organization or residence hall that donates the most food per person. A lunch in The Dulany of Davies Center will be given to the academic or administrative office winner, according to a university press release.

Last year, the American Marketing Association was the group winner, getting 10.5 pounds per person and 412 pounds total. The faculty and staff group winner was the Activities and Programs, donating 18.8 pounds per person and 206 pounds total.

To register a group, go to the Blugold Dining office 227 in Davies Center. Donations for the event should be left in all Eau Claire dining areas on Nov. 12.

For community donations, food should be left from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the lower level of Davies Center at the Marketplace.